Broken thin egg shell - HELP!

JayDee87

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
Hello!

Today I found a broken egg in the nest. The egg shell is very thin, so I’m guessing it’s calcium deficiency. I only have 4 hens, and they have a constant supply of oyster shell. All the other hens lay normal hard shells. But this 1 hen has been having issues for a week now. And finally today, the egg was broken. She’s 2 years old. What can I do to help her have better eggs?

Attachments

• 3D237FC8-C556-4155-9FB8-5B27A39FCE27.jpeg
    3D237FC8-C556-4155-9FB8-5B27A39FCE27.jpeg
    749 KB · Views: 22
  • 46F9CDE3-2FE3-4A6F-B63E-B44C19A5EC06.jpeg
    46F9CDE3-2FE3-4A6F-B63E-B44C19A5EC06.jpeg
    799.1 KB · Views: 8
I would agree with the calcium being a possible cause. Maybe this particular hen doesn't like the oyster shells? As a workaround, maybe try crushing up old egg shells to feed back to her?

On the other side of things, what kind of feed are you providing?

I would agree with the calcium being a possible cause. Maybe this particular hen doesn't like the oyster shells? As a workaround, maybe try crushing up old egg shells to feed back to her?

On the other side of things, what kind of feed are you providing?
I have been giving scratch and peck organic layer feed.

I am afraid to give eggshells cause I’m afraid of egg eating habit. Do you think changing brand of the oyster shell would help?

I have been giving scratch and peck organic layer feed.

I am afraid to give eggshells cause I’m afraid of egg eating habit. Do you think changing brand of the oyster shell would help?
Crushed up eggshells shouldn't be identified by chickens as "eggs." What type of calcium/oyster shell are you using, and are the birds eating it?

You can also try this:
If you know exactly which bird is the problem bird, isolate her for a private breakfast. 2-3x a week serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her minutes to eat and after that she's free to go.

Assuming her issue is simply insufficient calcium intake, you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results. If you still have the same issue, then you might need to try pills of calcium citrate instead for a faster, bigger calcium boost.

Crushed up eggshells shouldn't be identified by chickens as "eggs." What type of calcium/oyster shell are you using, and are the birds eating it?

You can also try this:
If you know exactly which bird is the problem bird, isolate her for a private breakfast. 2-3x a week serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her minutes to eat and after that she's free to go.

Assuming her issue is simply insufficient calcium intake, you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results. If you still have the same issue, then you might need to try pills of calcium citrate instead for a faster, bigger calcium boost.
I am using the Manna Pro crushed oyster shell. Theyre not eating it constantly but I can see the amount decreases so I guess they’re eating it sometimes? But apparently not this one hen because of her eggs being the way it is.

Thanks for the tip!!

Back
Top Bottom