Broken toe joint

OhAllie

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2018
Hello,

I have an ISA, about 10 months, that appears to have a broken toe at the joint. This occurred about 2 weeks ago and I thought she had bubblefoot. I removed her from the other girls and started epsom baths and put honey or udder balm on her foot. However, nothing changed. She is still very alter, eating well, and pooping normally. She continued to lay until a few days ago, but I think that is due to stress being spared from the other chickens.
It appears the swelling in her foot has decreased, but the knuckle is still enlarged and hard.
I have attempted to wrap her toe/foot to get her to put weight on it, but doesn’t help her much. I am also thinking about taking her to the vet, but I told myself when I got into this 2 years ago that I would not be that person. Things change I guess!

Please post some nice clear pictures because they really make it easier to make suggestions.

One just as she’s standing and holding the foot.

One, close, of the toes.

One from the bottom might be helpful as well.

Many times we do not notice crooked toes until later, and injuries can occur in chicken yards. I have had some missing toenails that caused limping. Pictures always help. She should not need to be separated, but with her flock unless she is being hurt.

Sorry it took me a while to post pictures. It is her right foot, so the one on the left in the images. She is not walking or putting any weight on it now.

Attachments

• 289F4EBE-FEBC-4FF2-974D-69B3E170167C.jpeg
    289F4EBE-FEBC-4FF2-974D-69B3E170167C.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 81066AD7-BEF9-4B31-A0FA-72C2CC1443CC.jpeg
    81066AD7-BEF9-4B31-A0FA-72C2CC1443CC.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 7
  • C2A04F30-F7AD-4793-8470-29E077BCD1B9.jpeg
    C2A04F30-F7AD-4793-8470-29E077BCD1B9.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 7
  • CEEECEC0-8110-41A0-9005-8BAB6ECF5A7C.jpeg
    CEEECEC0-8110-41A0-9005-8BAB6ECF5A7C.jpeg
    552.4 KB · Views: 7
Please post some nice clear pictures because they really make it easier to make suggestions.

One just as she’s standing and holding the foot.

One, close, of the toes.

One from the bottom might be helpful as well.
I posted pictures. I hope it helps.

Sorry it took me a while to post pictures. It is her right foot, so the one on the left in the images. She is not walking or putting any weight on it now.
It looks kind of like gout in that joint, but she’s still a young bird right?

Let’s call back some of the educator friends that were here a few days ago.

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Please come take a look.
Yes, she is young, about 10 months.

Attachments

• F25A3D80-A4CE-456A-859E-392E57AADBF3.jpeg
    F25A3D80-A4CE-456A-859E-392E57AADBF3.jpeg
    519.1 KB · Views: 8
She looks quite miserable, poor baby.
I’m a little concerned about her posture as well.
You mentioned she hadn’t laid in a few days...
is there a chance she’s eggbound compounding her
Foot pain?

ISA, about 10 months, that appears to have a broken toe at the joint. This occurred about 2 weeks ago and I thought she had bubblefoot.

It appears the swelling in her foot has decreased, but the knuckle is still enlarged and hard.
Did she happen to have something wrapped around the toe like a string or band that had slipped down?

After 2 weeks, I would think if it had been broken even without splinting, she would probably be trying to walk on it. But that's just my thoughts.
It sounds like she is getting worse especially now that she is not walking?

Have you investigated to see if there is anything else that is going on with her besides the foot? Any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen, is her crop emptying overnight, no lice/mites, etc.?

What do you feed her?

upload_2018-12-6_22-27-59.png

upload_2018-12-6_22-28-28.png

I didn’t notice anything around her toe. I did try to split it, but it wasn’t working well so I took it off. I tied twice, with it being less than 8 hours on both times.

She is no longer walking and supporting herself with her wings when she wants to move.

There is nothing else that I can tell is wrong with her. Everything feels right on her, but tonight it did seem her vent was slightly enlarged. Since she isn’t moving much she is getting I cut away some of her feathers around the vent and socking her always once a day.

I feed them organic layer feed. They free range during the day. Treats I give them are kitchen vegetables, fruit and bread scraps, scratch, and at times milworms. I am giving her the feed, and a few grapes and milworms since those are her favorites. Along with apple cider vinegar in her water.

Back
Top Bottom