Broken toe on chick

Ashleelynn

Hatching
Jan 11, 2022
I have a two month old chicken I purchased with what appears to be a broken toe. What is the best way to splint, if needed?

Attachments

• E6B5EEFE-FA76-4E42-89A2-5748D9A03F28.jpeg
    E6B5EEFE-FA76-4E42-89A2-5748D9A03F28.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 20
It could be a broken toe or it could be a deformity. Because of the position of both the middle and left toe, it is probably the latter. In either case, at two months, it is too late to fix it for the average chicken keeper with resources they have available.
In my experience, it will live quite well and not be hindered by the problem.
You will have to trim its nails from time to time as they won't be worn down from scratching.

I have a two month old chicken I purchased with what appears to be a broken toe. What is the best way to splint, if needed?
You can try making a tape shoe for her with a little piece of cardstock or cardboard. You need to uncurl the toe and place it in the anatomically correct position (use the other foot as a guide on how it should look). Tape the foot in place with medical tape or athletic tape. Works best with newly hatched chicks, but 2 months of age is not to late to give it a try.

You can try making a tape shoe for her with a little piece of cardstock or cardboard. You need to uncurl the toe and place it in the anatomically correct position (use the other foot as a guide on how it should look). Tape the foot in place with medical tape or athletic tape. Works best with newly hatched chicks, but 2 months of age is not to late to give it a try.
Thank you

It could be a broken toe or it could be a deformity. Because of the position of both the middle and left toe, it is probably the latter. In either case, at two months, it is too late to fix it for the average chicken keeper with resources they have available.
In my experience, it will live quite well and not be hindered by the problem.
You will have to trim its nails from time to time as they won't be worn down from scratching.
Thank you !

Back
Top Bottom