Broken toe? Or something else?

Flutterby

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 10, 2013
We have a hen that is having issues. Has been for a while. She will try and walk, but fall forward, off balance. They were all vaccinated for new castle, so we knew that was not it. We thought maybe it was an infection or vitamin issue, but we pumped her full of both and no change. I watched her walk, like REALLY watched her, and noticed that her forward toes on both feet bend up at the second knuckle[in from the claw] when she takes a step, causing her to push up with her other toes and it knocks her forward. We are going to splint it, but we would like to know if it's simply a case of broken toes due to the boys[5 of them that all like to jump the girls at the same time] or if it's something more serious.

We have a hen that is having issues. Has been for a while. She will try and walk, but fall forward, off balance. They were all vaccinated for new castle, so we knew that was not it. We thought maybe it was an infection or vitamin issue, but we pumped her full of both and no change. I watched her walk, like REALLY watched her, and noticed that her forward toes on both feet bend up at the second knuckle[in from the claw] when she takes a step, causing her to push up with her other toes and it knocks her forward. We are going to splint it, but we would like to know if it's simply a case of broken toes due to the boys[5 of them that all like to jump the girls at the same time] or if it's something more serious.

More likely than not she has an issue that involves a less than ideal environment during incubation.

An alternative explanation is Mareks Disease.

Then there are a range of inherited defects that surface in shallow gene pools.

Finally injuries and accidents.

In other words anything. Sorry I can't be of more help.

However after 60 or more years with chickens I have yet to find a rooster with a foot fetish.
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom