Broken Wing after coon attack

mamaof2wi

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
West Central Wisconsin
Our baby duck was attacked by a coon and is doing fantastic. Only issue we are having is she will trip over her broken wing once in awhile when we take it out of the wrap to give her a rest. My guess is the wing will always hang. Will she be able to do ok with this?
duck.jpg

That's not good. Can you clean it up and get better pictures?
It actually looks fantastic to what it did! She is doing great and acting 100% normal. I did have b4 pics posted right when it happened and people helped me through what to do (thank goodness). We are 6 days out from the attack. I just do not think she will ever get movement in that wing again and that it will hang down.

I would highly recommend wrapping her wing and keeping it close to her body for support. If she is just 6 days out from the attack and it is broken, she will not have any mobility for quite awhile. Leaving it to hang is only going to put more stress on the break adding to her pain, increasing the likelihood of her wing not recovering and healing deformed.

You could pinion that wing just take the flight tip off so any infection don't get into the bones and spread up the wing . Cant tell what part of the wing is damaged .

I would highly recommend wrapping her wing and keeping it close to her body for support. If she is just 6 days out from the attack and it is broken, she will not have any mobility for quite awhile. Leaving it to hang is only going to put more stress on the break adding to her pain, increasing the likelihood of her wing not recovering and healing deformed.
x2

Edit: My avian vets have recommended 6 weeks of immobilization for bones to heal. Interestingly, that is the time frame for my own bones to be casted with splinting afterward.

Last edited:
x2

Edit: My avian vets have recommended 6 weeks of immobilization for bones to heal. Interestingly, that is the time frame for my own bones to be casted with splinting afterward.
We do wrap it. She can not walk very well when wrapped. We give her a little time without the wrap (and she loves this time :😊).

You could pinion that wing just take the flight tip off so any infection don't get into the bones and spread up the wing . Cant tell what part of the wing is damaged .
Sorry for the graphic picture. This was taken when it happened and I posted on this forum to get advice. She can move the shoulder area but not the wing. No bones are sticking out.

Attachments

• duck 1.jpg
    duck 1.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 5
  • duck 2.jpg
    duck 2.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom