Broken wing feathers-- please help

Ohelo Lilikoi

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 30, 2012
Attached are some pictures. This hen has always looked kind of disheveled. But it seems it has been getting worse as of late. Im pretty sure wings feathers breaking off is not molting. The last few weeks I have beenwatching as much as I can to see if she's getting picked on. And as far as I can tell she's not. The other hens don't bother her or the rooster either anymore than the other hens. I'm pretty sure she doesn't have mites or lice but can't be positive. I've started to get worried though cause as u can see in the picture her feathers are breaking off really short almost in her skin. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Also if it helps, all my other girls do not have this going on. They are doing the regular molting.

Did you ever find a solution to this, or a reason? I have a Speckled Sussex and her wing tips are broken off too. Although hers are closer to the wing end and not the shoulder. She always has looked a little disheveled and I didn't realize how broken her wing tips were until the other day. She also has a greasy look to her. Would love to know if you found a solution or cause.

I'm having this problem as well... my two buff orps both seem this way. they are 2 of approximately 40 hens, and just like the OP said, or doesn't seem to be mites or excessive male attention. any other ideas, anyone?
what about treatment options?

I have a Leghorn with a similar problem.
Although the shafts are not broken so low down.
I have now just put it down to genetics as the hen is two years old
and is showing now sign of changing.
It doesn't seem to effect her though.

Attached are some pictures. This hen has always looked kind of disheveled. But it seems it has been getting worse as of late. Im pretty sure wings feathers breaking off is not molting. The last few weeks I have beenwatching as much as I can to see if she's getting picked on. And as far as I can tell she's not. The other hens don't bother her or the rooster either anymore than the other hens. I'm pretty sure she doesn't have mites or lice but can't be positive. I've started to get worried though cause as u can see in the picture her feathers are breaking off really short almost in her skin. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Feathers are made mainly from protein, so protein deficiency can causes the growth of fragile feathers that have a tendency to brake. Assuming that your chicken is eating well and don't have any kind of nutritional deficiency there is another possible explanation. In chicken there is a recessive gene called "flightless" Gene (Fl gene) that causes problems in the protein metabolism in flight feathers causing them to brake.

Did anyone have any luck with this? I have a few easter eggers, one in particular, with almost the exact same issue. And in the same places. I don't think it's mites/lice since it's not all birds. And I read that mice can do this, but I'm not seeing any evidence of that either...

Did anyone have any luck with this? I have a few easter eggers, one in particular, with almost the exact same issue. And in the same places. I don't think it's mites/lice since it's not all birds. And I read that mice can do this, but I'm not seeing any evidence of that either...
Do you have photos of your hen?
Do you have a rooster or cockerel?

Broken feathers like that are usually from mating.

Do you have photos of your hen?
Do you have a rooster or cockerel?

Broken feathers like that are usually from mating.
I'll get photos later, but they are very similar to the ones posted above. And no rooster or cockerel...(at least I've never heard one)

Back
Top Bottom