Broken Wing? Help :(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Breakfast coop, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Breakfast coop

Breakfast coop New Egg

Aug 13, 2014
    Hello there!

one of my chickens got chased and injured by a dog. She is walking around just fine but her wing is hanging a little but longer then the other one. Can anyone tell me what I can do for her? I was thinking about maybe wrapping it up close to her body. She is a really wild chicken so its hard to tell if she is in pain or just being skittish as usual. Any info will be appreciated!

This is the bad side and the other side is the side that isn't injured. I also put a pic of the backside so that you can see the difference and the hang of the feathers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Definitely post this on our Emergency section at the link that Mountain Peeps and Kelsie2290 have provided. Some of our experts there should be able to advise you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Silver Laced Wyandotte hen.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely post this in our emergency section. If she did not injure it, this could be neurological. Sometime stemming from inside the brain. I hope you can get her back to good health soon. [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe she has a dislocation rather than a break. Is it at all likely you would take her to a vet? If she does have a break and it isn't tended to, it will heal the way it is now. If it makes her awkward or unable to fly, she loses her best chance of fleeing predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by