Broken wing, how long should I wait?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrRushed, Nov 16, 2010.

1. MrRushed

MrRushed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    One of my RIR walked over to my neighbor's house and got attacked by their dog. He ripped her wing out of socket.
    I thought I was going to have to put her down, she was passing out and gasping for air.
    I decided to try to save her and pushed her wing back in the socket and taped it tight to her body.
    I seperated her from the flock and let her have the guest bedroom.[​IMG] I put her in a see through tote with pine shavings, food, and water.
    It's been a week now and she seems to be getting stronger everyday. She's eating well and I've been exercising her outside everyday with the flock. ( My flock free ranges in the hood.)

I was wondering how long should I keep her seperated and when should I try to take the tape off her wing?
    Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    you might be able to take the tape off the wing now. i would wait a little longer and observe the bird for another week or two to make sure the wing has healed and is functioning before putting her back in the flock. you would also have to watch for the others hens picking on her.

if she is still having an issue with the wing after a day of it not being taped up, i would re-tape it for another week as a precaution.

3. MrRushed

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    Thanks Chickie Moma.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. MrRushed

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    THANKS MOM,
    I've been slowly reintroducing her back in the flock, letting her hang out with them. You can see the pecking order step in, it seems like a few of the hens push her arround a little bit
    then they all hang out like allways.
    She's still not up to speed but she's getting better every day. I'm going to wait another week at least before I take the tape off.
    Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by