Broken Wing!!!!

Lovem all

Songster
Jul 29, 2020
Ricky is my 6-7 year old barred rock austrolrp rooster. Yesterday afternoon I noticed his left wing was hanging down. I felt the two wings for a difference and it almost felt unattached. My mom suggested maybe it was just resting (we share the flock) but today it seems to be even lower and when he walks it slinks down so far he is stepping and tripping on it. I'll add pictures in a minute. How can I help him. (the vet isnt really an option fyi)

He's very irritable so I couldn't get really up close photos.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 12.16.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 12.16.39 PM.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 12.16.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 12.16.22 PM.png
    818.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 12.16.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 12.16.00 PM.png
    376.8 KB · Views: 8
I've had one chicken with a broken wing, though it was a shipped baby and arrived that way. What helped for him was to wrap it with vet tape, over the effected wing and under the good wing, making sure the wing seemed perfectly aligned. I'm not sure if it was broken or dislocated but that seemed to do the trick -- took about 2 weeks. I'd purchased him for my neighbor and he never had another wing problem. Good luck!

I'll see if I can do that. Ricky might be a butt hole but he's my butt hole. I'm not sure how he got hurt. He already has a double case of bad bumble foot I can't fix and is just old in general. We did have a lot of buzzards and hawks around yesterday (there was a dead baby dear in the field and all the birds wanted a bite) While I didn't see a wound, It wouldn't surprise me if he was injusred in battle. Or maybe dumb butt just fell.

I'll see if I can do that. Ricky might be a butt hole but he's my butt hole. I'm not sure how he got hurt. He already has a double case of bad bumble foot I can't fix and is just old in general. We did have a lot of buzzards and hawks around yesterday (there was a dead baby dear in the field and all the birds wanted a bite) While I didn't see a wound, It wouldn't surprise me if he was injusred in battle. Or maybe dumb butt just fell.
Did he fall off that goat????Poor thing. I'd immobilize it.

He is so beautiful! Wrapping it is a great idea. Also i would do a round of antibiotics (if you use them) just to help keep any infection at bay. I hope he gets better. The chicken on the goat is cute as hell btw. ^_^

Holy comb and wattles! :eek:

can you feel it for a break or dislocation?

edit: sorry you did say unattached. definitely wrap it in the correct position, but i suspect he'll wriggle out of wrap

Oh no ricky would never get on top of a goat. Only my young ones who were raised with goats do that. Mainly Boobie (as pictured) and Opal do that when they think I came over with food.

Back
Top Bottom