1. I rescued 12 battery hens yesterday, and some of the girls seem to have injured wings. One of the hens especially seems to have a broken wing. I would like or know what to do to help them heal. The man from the battery hen farm wasn't very gentle with them, and they are very stressed. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Here is a idea for broken wing i copied from a chicken health book.it says:"It can be healed by folding the wing into a natural position against the bird, and then wrapping the bird with gauze strips or vet wrap to hold the wing in place. Unless it’s a show bird, if the wing heals crooked or droops, it’s no big deal.
    Keeping the wing wrapped for two weeks is usually enough. The bird must be separated from other birds during this time. The bird will feel better if it can see and hear the flock." I hope this is helpful. I'm so saddened by the treatment given to these battery hens! They are very lucky you found them! Best wishes to you and your new flock! This treatment was taken from the book chicken health for dummies. I really hope it helps. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. Thanks! If I need to I will do that, if any wings don't heal on their own over time, I will do that! Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by