Bromethalin and Prowler Bait Chunx

coopscooper55

Hatching
Oct 22, 2023
I have had chickens for many years but this year i seem to have a big problem with mice. I bought a Prowler refillable rock which is basically a bait station that you put the Prowler Bait Chunx in. Now I'm questioning that purchase because I don't know if the mice eat the bait inside the bait station and die there, or if they take the bait elsewhere and die where my dog or chickens could find the mouse. Also, do the mice take the bait outside the bait station and leave it somewhere where my chickens or dog or kids could get into it. I put the bait station inside a run that is not in use by anything but the mice. Ugh. I hate mice. Am I overthinking? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Thanks, but I'm specifically looking for those with experience with the Prowler bait station and Bait Chunx.
I'm sorry, I should explain.
Prowler and bait chunk do have very high risk of secondary poisoning, the mice will die wherever. So not only are your pets and chickens at risk, but so is the local wildlife.
So get some snap traps, bait with peanut butter kneaded into bread to a thick dough and work it under the trigger. Mouse X is a rodentcide that only works on rodents, it will not harm any other animals. It's a salt that kills off their sense if thirst so they die of dehydration.

Mice will eat the bait in the bait station, but will leave and die elsewhere. Many will die in their burrows/ nests, but some will be outside, sick, and available for other critters to eat and be poisoned.
I've had good luck with the metal Victor live traps and relocation, and snap traps, again, the old style wood and metal Victor traps, work really well for mice. Kill traps must be unavailable to your birds; in a box, under something, totally unavailable.
Mice are a lot easier than rats!
Mary

I'm sorry, I should explain.
Prowler and bait chunk do have very high risk of secondary poisoning, the mice will die wherever. So not only are your pets and chickens at risk, but so is the local wildlife.
So get some snap traps, bait with peanut butter kneaded into bread to a thick dough and work it under the trigger. Mouse X is a rodentcide that only works on rodents, it will not harm any other animals. It's a salt that kills off their sense if thirst so they die of dehydration.
Thanks so much for that explanation; its what I expected and i will take your advice. Have a great day!

Mice will eat the bait in the bait station, but will leave and die elsewhere. Many will die in their burrows/ nests, but some will be outside, sick, and available for other critters to eat and be poisoned.
I've had good luck with the metal Victor live traps and relocation, and snap traps, again, the old style wood and metal Victor traps, work really well for mice. Kill traps must be unavailable to your birds; in a box, under something, totally unavailable.
Mice are a lot easier than rats!
Mary
Thank you for taking the time to reply Mary; I will switch to the traps. And try to figure something out to make food unavailable.

FWIW, if you do nothing but traps, you will hardly touch the population. Bait really helps. Keeping up on bait stations, with checking if bait has been nibbled or is gone, also helps.

CLEAN everything so there isn’t any food around. Sweep up stray pellets around your feed storage. If the chickens are messy with their food, replace the feeder to a better one. Some go to rat proof feeders, but we find that the very inexpensive “7lb feeder” that has baffles to keep the chickens from swiping out the feed side to side and a little lip work well- hang it at back height as this also helps. Do not throw down scratch for the birds, they won’t get it all and some will remain for the rodents. Take in the feed every night.

Use metal cans for the feed storage.

If there is insulation they can get into try to remove it or seal -it makes for a very cozy place for mice and their babies.

Some people find they have to bring in the water too, to remove a water source.

Rodents are there bc there is food and/or shelter. Remove food and any shelter (like cozy insulation or nice protected nooks) and they will have to leave.

FWIW, if you do nothing but traps, you will hardly touch the population. Bait really helps. Keeping up on bait stations, with checking if bait has been nibbled or is gone, also helps.

CLEAN everything so there isn’t any food around. Sweep up stray pellets around your feed storage. If the chickens are messy with their food, replace the feeder to a better one. Some go to rat proof feeders, but we find that the very inexpensive “7lb feeder” that has baffles to keep the chickens from swiping out the feed side to side and a little lip work well- hang it at back height as this also helps. Do not throw down scratch for the birds, they won’t get it all and some will remain for the rodents. Take in the feed every night.

Use metal cans for the feed storage.

If there is insulation they can get into try to remove it or seal -it makes for a very cozy place for mice and their babies.

Some people find they have to bring in the water too, to remove a water source.

Rodents are there bc there is food and/or shelter. Remove food and any shelter (like cozy insulation or nice protected nooks) and they will have to leave.
Thanks so much! That was very informative. I do have an insulated ceiling so I’ll have to summon up some courage and rip it down.

I use both these products, including the rock-shaped bait station. The mice take the bait and die in their holes, or sometimes out in the open. My chickens have never touched a dead mouse. When I used a cheaper brand of bait (I forget the name), I had issues with squirrels pulling entire bait chunx out of the bait station. Bromethalin kills quickly, so there is less risk of secondary poisoning compared to anticoagulant baits, where the toxin needs time to build up in the system. The downside is that there is no antidote if your pet eats the bait directly.

As long as you inspect the bait stations daily and immediately remove dead rodents, there should not be any problems. Only put one or 2 chunx in the bait station at a time, and refill when empty.

Back
Top Bottom