BroodBox Incubator Project

Amedean

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2016
Melbourne Florida
Staying true to my intention, I am going to use this thread to log my work on this project. I have been a lurker here a couple years but recently I decided to join the discussion. I was partially driven by a request from my father a few of weeks ago. You can read more about this on my intro so I can get to the goodies.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/designing-an-incubator-for-my-dad.1308420/

SO to the project, I wanted to do something new having been disapointed with what is currently available in the market considering price. My build will have quality components, I am not cutting corners unless cost/benefit is substantial. Some of the features I am considering.
  • Computerized controls.
  • Interactive OLED display with simplified interface.
  • 500+ chicken egg capacity.
  • Active humidity control (note a damp sponge)
  • Ultrasonic humidifier.
  • Programmable humidity settings depending on the calendar day.
  • Active temperature and humidity sensors inside and outside.
  • Alternative heating elements using ceramic heating.
  • Egg rotation mechanism that stops before hatch date (programmable).
  • Active air circulation.
  • Reinforced aluminum frame design.
  • Robust and easy to repair design.
  • Built in surge protection.
  • Handles for two man carry.
  • Sub $1k MSRP if marketed.
I uploaded some images to communicate the vision. I do appreciate and want feedback, keep in mind I am designing a semi industrial system. In the future I will consider a smaller system. I will be testing my prototype at my father's homestead and when I am satisfied with the results I will consider reproduction. I purchased testing equipment and raw materials. Currently writing code integrating systems and consolidating research of optimum environmental conditions for egg embryo development.
sketch1557679642664 (002).png
testing.jpg

Santa Claus

Chirping
May 19, 2019
Good start! I am going the conversion route to save the hassle of building a box. I am using this:
4DB2D0C3-4E32-4C45-9E06-5EFB059B8186.jpeg

Gutted it and am building a control box on top with the wiring on the back. I am probably going with a mix of PID control and Arduino control. Capacity of 196 eggs. I am using a flat roller system with removable slats for hatching. Forced air over a pre-heated ultrasonic humidifier and also using stainless heat rods. The turner will use a servo motor to rotate the shaft. I will post a build article with a parts and step by step build guide. The only problem is I still work full time and have a couple hundred birds to take care of daily!

Good luck with your build and doing stuff with your dad is always a plus.

007Sean

Pheasant Whisperer
Staff member
Premium member
Oct 25, 2015
South Central Texas
Good start! I am going the conversion route to save the hassle of building a box. I am using this:
View attachment 1791397
Gutted it and am building a control box on top with the wiring on the back. I am probably going with a mix of PID control and Arduino control. Capacity of 196 eggs. I am using a flat roller system with removable slats for hatching. Forced air over a pre-heated ultrasonic humidifier and also using stainless heat rods. The turner will use a servo motor to rotate the shaft. I will post a build article with a parts and step by step build guide. The only problem is I still work full time and have a couple hundred birds to take care of daily!

Good luck with your build and doing stuff with your dad is always a plus.
Sounds like sound build plan. You might want to check into a 'sail winch' servo, they turn a little slower than regular servos.

Santa Claus

Chirping
May 19, 2019
Sounds like sound build plan. You might want to check into a 'sail winch' servo, they turn a little slower than regular servos.
I checked into those too. I will be driving them with a Arduino and the speed is adjustable in the code. The main reason is that I have the hardware for them already from my rc hobby.

Top Bottom