Designing an incubator for my dad.

Amedean

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2016
Melbourne Florida
I have been a lurker here a couple years and I live down here in Melbourne Florida. Today on the random I decided to make my first post. I was partially driven by a request from my father a couple of weeks ago. He is interested in raising and breeding chickens and I am trying to influence him to consider raising endangered breeds much like Greenfire Farms. Inspirational work. Either way, he asked what I thought about an incubator he was considering purchasing. It was this one:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/cabinet-egg-incubators.11042/

I told him I could design one for him with updated capabilities. My background, I am an aerospace engineer who does electrical and structural work on aircraft. That's all I am willing to discuss ;).

So anyways, I did market research and was pretty disappointed. None did what I though was sufficient for the asking price so I am considering throwing my hat in the game. I'm still in the design phase but I am a bit of a perfectionist. Possibly mildly OCD. Some of the features I am considering;
  • Active humidity control (note a damp sponge)
  • Active temperature and humidity sensors inside and outside.
  • Interactive OLED display with simplified interface.
  • Programmable humidity settings depending on the calendar day.
  • Alternative heating elements using ceramic heating.
  • Ultrasonic humidifier.
  • 500+ chicken egg capacity.
  • Egg rotation mechanism that stops before hatch date (programmable).
  • Active fresh air circulation.
  • I was considering Bluetooth/IoT but I cant imagine a practical use for homesteading.
Anyways, aside from that, I'm looking to breed rare chickens and sell to market. My dad is interested too, though for little more than hobby. Some of my other interests are Permaculture and obviously DIY agricultural technology.

Back
Top Bottom