brooder and coop combined?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lisamarie, May 31, 2010.

1. lisamarie

lisamarie In the Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    hi all,

i am wanting to build something that can be used for a brooder initially and then be used as the future coop and run for chicks until they are grown up enough to be introduced to my previous flocks and either kept w/ those previous flocks in their coop (my adult birds are in coop at night but free range during the day) or if i have too many chickens in that coop in another "adult" coop.

basically, i want a design that is convenient for me for cleaning, good ventillation but is insulated enough so that can be kept outside w/ brooder light when chicks are young ( i live in a pretty mild climate) and can allow the chicks to get outside on grass as soon as possible, but then be able to get back into brooder w/ lamp if they need it, and a coop/run that will provide protection from my older flocks and daytime predators of small chicks. also, i would love to use this brooder/coop/run for ducks, geese and guinea hens as well.

any ideas of a design that would work and do you have pictures???

thanks so much!
    lisa

2. lisamarie

lisamarie In the Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    just wanted to bump this up so it doesn't get lost!
    lisa

3. drunkdog

drunkdog Songster

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    I dont know if this helps you at all...after the second week our brooder didnt seem big enough so we put two heat lamps in the coop and moved them out to it yesterday...they are loving it and they have a nestbox I built for them since they dont roost yet for sleeping (though they do climb on the roost while active) [​IMG]

4. lisamarie

lisamarie In the Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    thanks for your reply! does your coop have a run as well?
    thanks,
    lisa

5. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    I am going to watch this thread with you, as I am looking to build a big coop this summer, and would love to incorporate a brooder inside the adult coop as well. I know there are several on BYC that have this feature, as I have read a few of their posts, but couldn't tell you were I have seen them on here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by