brooder at nite ideas please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelliepulido, Apr 14, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I have my little chicken brooder in my room but the lite keeps me awake any thoughts/ideas on what I can do to keep the babies warm but the room dark?I guess I am not very creative.

2. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    switch to a red light?

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:Yep, that's what we use. We're using 85 watt floodlight bulbs.

You can see the glow that red bulbs give in the pix...

Outdoor...

[​IMG]

Indoor brooder...

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Edited to add second pic...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe try a ceramic heat element? The kind that screws into the light base.

5. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

The ceramics were pretty disappointing with regard to heat for me. I may have had the wattage wrong though. I really like the red lamp, it's much softer. There may be another option for you, if you don't want to use the "red" there are higher watt "natural light" bulbs at home improvement stores. Now I'm not entirely sure they will give off enough heat, but I have used one for years for reading because bright light hurts my eyes. It is a very "soft" light. Or you could build a temporary wall between the brooder and where you are sleeping so the light doesn't bother you.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Can you slide something in front of the brooder, while leaving room to get into it, to soften the amount of light you see? Like a room divider, dresser or something like that...

7. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    thanks for the help.Where do you get the ceramic heating elements?

8. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Refridgerator box?! See if you can get one from a place that sells appliances, put the entire brooder inside, with little holes for electric cords to do through, and a flap door on the side/top where you put your hand in the brooder. Then use a towel or sheet to cover the flap door a night, to keep the light from shining through the cracks at the edge. ?

9. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They have them at most pet shops, they are mainly used for reptiles. Ebay is cheaper, though. I use these myself and love them. I have a 165 watt.

10. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Is there any way you can put them in another room at night? Or maybe in your closet and close the door? We had ours in the kitchen and dining room and I could still see the light but with the red heat lamps, it didn't bother me much. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by