Brooder Base and Odor Control

team_realtree

Songster
14 Years
Jun 28, 2009
What is the best thing to use as bedding? I have heard shavings but when I used them last year they would absorb the moisture from there crap and smell disgusting. I have used cardboard which worked okay because I had alot of it and it was easy to swap out a new piece. Newspaper was the worst and would simply break down within an hour of them getting it wet and walking over it.

And now onto the smell
big_smile.png
Aside from just putting cardboard down or something, most beddings will be absorbing there crap. Obviously after a few hours without changing this isn't going to smell to good. I just don't want to wear out my welcome and upset anyone in the family through the weeks that they are in the basement under a heat lamp.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi team_realtree! I have found that the best flooring for me has been rubber shelf/drawer liner. It's a rubbery waffled kind of liner that gives the chicks grip for their feet so they develop nice strong legs. I put paper towels or regular towels under it to help absorb anything that leaks through. I change it out daily and don't have any problems with it smelling bad. I don't know how many chicks you have, but I have 12 and it works out great. I just throw it away and use fresh liner everyday, but if you want to reuse it you can wash it and it washes up good.

If you are more concerned about absorbing poop, this might not work. But for me, I'd rather change it out often and use it so their little legs get strong. Hope this helps you!

Quote:
At what age do you think this would work until? I found that any paper type of products like paper towel was easily ripped and shredded once it got moist and they walked on it?

I usually use regular towels under the shelf liner, but I used paper towels before. But because they sit under the shelf liner, they don't get shredded up. I usually use it for the first few weeks then switch them to pine shavings. I don't have any trouble with shavings so it works for me. But I don't like to put them on shavings first because I think their legs develop better on the shelf liner and also I don't want them eating the shavings. After a few weeks old I've never seen them eat the shavings.

Back
Top Bottom