brooder bedding

I used old baby nappies. When they’re dirty they go in nappy San soak, and then rinse and wash.
chicks get excellent grip on them. So their legs don’t slide apart.
For little ones I used dog potty pads on the bottom paper towels on top of that. Moved them into pine shavings as soon as they understood what their food was. Pine shavings seem very clean and easy to pick out poop.

So I've been searching the threads and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to brooder bedding. I know it is mostly personal preference, but I like clarity. I have a friend who only uses newspaper in her brooders (but then I read it's too slippery), I google bedding and read that someone else uses plastic shelf liner and paper towel (paper towel is like gold right now, along with TP so I don't want to waste what stock I have and I don;t have shelf liner), more people on google seem to use sand (I research and find that most sand has silica, which is a carcinogen, so i dont want to use that). HELP.
Someone please lay it out for me lol. I read people like shavings/wood chips but that they are a pain to clean. I want/need something easy and simple to clean and use.
I use pine
So I've been searching the threads and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to brooder bedding. I know it is mostly personal preference, but I like clarity. I have a friend who only uses newspaper in her brooders (but then I read it's too slippery), I google bedding and read that someone else uses plastic shelf liner and paper towel (paper towel is like gold right now, along with TP so I don't want to waste what stock I have and I don;t have shelf liner), more people on google seem to use sand (I research and find that most sand has silica, which is a carcinogen, so i dont want to use that). HELP.
Someone please lay it out for me lol. I read people like shavings/wood chips but that they are a pain to clean. I want/need something easy and simple to clean and use.
I like white pine chips in the brooder box. I had problems with them kicking the chips in their food and water. I solved that problem by cutting a cardboard box that would easily accommodate them to about 6” high. This way they jump on the side of the box to get in but it’s too high for them to kick wood chips in.

I use this- https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...co-fine-premium-pine-shavings-covers-55-cu-ft. Pretty cheap, very absorbent, and we put a piece of lavender in a corner, keeps any smell down. I clean every week.

The main reason to put new born chicks on paper towel is that they sometimes eat the smaller flakes of wood shavings. For the first couple days it critical they eat starter feed. The newspaper is slippery and can leed to splay legs in those first days when chick joints are soft and vunerable. I use shavings after the first 3 days, then chicks are outside at 2 weeks old.
Are you in a warm area? I’m new to chickens and have read that the chicks must be fully feathered. I’m in Mass where April was snowy and cold.

I’m using puppy pee pads. They’re very easy to change and surprisingly good grip for their little feet.

I feel your pain. I’m using pine shavings. They always get into food and water. Even if I elevate food and water. Tried newspaper, they tear it up and then I have the same problem. Tried sand in coop under roost. It draws moisture out of air. No good. Would love to have a better solution.
our meat chickens ( jumbo Cornish crosses) freak out everytime I’m tff egg yong to change or add shavings

Back
Top Bottom