Brooder bedding

I am using pine shavings, but putting paper towels down over the shavings, so then I just have to roll up the towels twice a day and change the shavings once a week. I also use a cut down container under the water so it is harder to mess up the water. It may all seem like overkill but I work and I can't watch over them all day. This system seems to work well for me. Mine are only 2 weeks old

Last edited:
I am using pine shavings, but putting paper towels down over the shavings, so then I just have to roll up the towels twice a day and change the shavings once a week. I also use a cut down container under the water so it is harder to mess up the water. It may all seem like overkill but I work and I can't watch over them all day. This system seems to work well for me. Mine are only 2 weeks old

Nice clean system...I like it.
cool.png

They might nibble on the pine shavings but I use them all the time since they absorb moisture so well. Place your water up higher on a block and it will help stay clean, if you pine chips are really that dusty take them back to the store, they shouldn't smell dusty either. They make good mulch too, ESP mixed with chicken poop.
Chickens love to scratch all day, and even dust bath in the chips, that's when they really go flying, but anything that low to the ground with not only get stuff kicked into it, it will get pooped on...elevate it!?

Thanks for including the picture and the feedback on use of this product. Glad to have the name of the supplier visible for finding a local store. I have a dirt floor in my coop and my only concern is dampness and moisture. I will definitely use this in my nesting boxes. The bag says it absorbs moisture? Any mold or odor problems?

I have not had any mold or odor problems. I have vinyl flooring inside the coop. The run has a roof over it. The straw stays very dry. The chickens keep it stirred up, especially when I spread new stuff out. They fling it everywhere. I mix it up and smooth it out with a rake every few days. I am very happy with how long the stuff lasts, and surprised that there is no smell. One bag seems to go pretty far. It's compacted in the bag the same way shavings are.
If you can't find a supplier in your area for this mulch, you can use any chopped straw. It is what is often used on freshly seeded lawns.

This is what I have been doing. I like it now so I can monitor their poop very easily, but when they get a bit bigger (with bigger poops!) I will probably do away with the paper towels and just use the pine shavings. They are only 4 days old right now.

I am for sure going to try to find some of that chopped hay/straw mulch...that looks awesome!

Back
Top Bottom