Brooder bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TinyChickenLady, Sep 27, 2011.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope I'm posting this in the right section....
    So here's the deal, I'm getting sick and tired of pine shavings in their box. It's dusty and they kick it all through their food and water.
    I'd like to switch to wood pellets.
    Can anyone think of any reason that I should not use wood pellets?

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Interested in what the experts have to say on this, i am as fed up as you with the wood shaving every where.

3. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

I never used wood pellets, I always used sand for brooders. The only thing I have heard of wood pellets is that older chicks may try to eat them...but I always thought they would be too big.

4. arthurpete

arthurpete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I started out with cypress mulch, worked fine. Then i got a huge block of pine shavings from TSC and now i am stuck with it (well i can use it for the garden). I ran into the same issues, dusty and smelly.

Pine shavings as bedding sucks, period.

5. ShaunThomasobr

ShaunThomasobr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I have the same question....I beleive I am heading back to the feed store today to get some pellets. I had intended to buy some yesterday but the clerk talked me out of it simply because she hadnt heard of using pellets with chickens.... My babies just arrived yesterday and they are on paper towels now, man they sure do poop a lot!

7. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen pictures of young chickens on wood pellets. I know they would be safe for them. And I think they would be too big to be eaten so I think I'm going to give it a shot [​IMG] I'll let y'all know how it goes.

8. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Awesome let us know- I just purchased some pine horse bedding pellets this morning- most look way too big for a chick to consume, but there are some small pieces in there, so I am hesitant. I have to do something tomorrow as the paper towel route is really [​IMG]

9. woodsedge

woodsedge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    la rue, ohio
    I use crushed corn cobs and wood shavings it cuts the dust and absorbs so the bedding lasts a lot longer

10. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    tinychickenlady-- let me know how you make out- I cleaned everything out, put the pellets in and they went crazy, they were eating the pellets so I took them out [​IMG]

They were putting them in thier mouths and banging them to break apart and working hard at it, then eating what they could-I am a total newby, maybe they would also eat the pin shavings? Maybe I need to wait longer to put bedding in...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by