Brooder bedding

TinyChickenLady

Songster
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
My backyard farm, Maine
I hope I'm posting this in the right section....
So here's the deal, I'm getting sick and tired of pine shavings in their box. It's dusty and they kick it all through their food and water.
I'd like to switch to wood pellets.
Can anyone think of any reason that I should not use wood pellets?

Interested in what the experts have to say on this, i am as fed up as you with the wood shaving every where.

I never used wood pellets, I always used sand for brooders. The only thing I have heard of wood pellets is that older chicks may try to eat them...but I always thought they would be too big.

I started out with cypress mulch, worked fine. Then i got a huge block of pine shavings from TSC and now i am stuck with it (well i can use it for the garden). I ran into the same issues, dusty and smelly.

Pine shavings as bedding sucks, period.

roll.png

I have the same question....I beleive I am heading back to the feed store today to get some pellets. I had intended to buy some yesterday but the clerk talked me out of it simply because she hadnt heard of using pellets with chickens.... My babies just arrived yesterday and they are on paper towels now, man they sure do poop a lot!

I've seen pictures of young chickens on wood pellets. I know they would be safe for them. And I think they would be too big to be eaten so I think I'm going to give it a shot
smile.png
I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Quote:
Awesome let us know- I just purchased some pine horse bedding pellets this morning- most look way too big for a chick to consume, but there are some small pieces in there, so I am hesitant. I have to do something tomorrow as the paper towel route is really
sickbyc.gif

tinychickenlady-- let me know how you make out- I cleaned everything out, put the pellets in and they went crazy, they were eating the pellets so I took them out
sad.png

They were putting them in thier mouths and banging them to break apart and working hard at it, then eating what they could-I am a total newby, maybe they would also eat the pin shavings? Maybe I need to wait longer to put bedding in...

Back
Top Bottom