Brooder bedding?

Would they not eat the Quickcrete? Thats concrete mix right? If so, I would be very worried about that. I know my chicks tear up any sand I put in for them. I usually use the parakeet sand in a little dish for the first couple of weeks as a source of grit for them. I know chicks can impact their little gizzards if they eat too much sand.
Quote: 'Quikcrete' is a brand name, they sell many products, including many different concrete mixes...but what I use is called 'Fine Sand'.
It's actually fairly coarse as sand goes, and is washed, screened and kiln dried.

I did a lot of research and shopping on sand when mixing my own concrete for making concrete sculptures, it's very hard to measure the coarseness of sand unless you have a set of very expensive grading screens.There are a lot of colloquial 'names' for sand, but unless you can measure it, those names are often misleading.

To be absolutely clear, so no one uses a concrete mix for brooder bedding, here is a pic of the bag:

and here is a pic of some grains on a quarter to give the grain size a scale:

We use straw in or brooder. Does anyone else have experience with straw?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I plan on using puppy pads the first week or so then switching to pine pellets, should I put in the pine pellets then cover with puppy pads to give cushion or should I just use the pads??

Please help?

CountryGal517 I personally would just use the pine shavings. I have zero experience with puppy pads, so hopefully someone else will jump in and give there opinion. I'm sure people have used them with great results but I would think they may Peck it if it's on top and then possibly harm the chick or make a bigger mess. Again, I haven't used them and not saying don't, but if you do maybe put it under the pine. HTH

We use a combination of pine underneath the straw. The straw catches the bulk of mess and easier to clean out than the shavings. Plus I use the straw and shavings in my compost bins. I am raising or chicks in the coop. I sectioned off a corner for them but yesterday had to open it up to give them more room. Sorry the pic is dark but it was getting dark outside and only have the red heat lamp running. After shaking them up in there working yesterday I wanted the red to calm them back down. They now occupy half the hen house... Lol
u9a9ugej.jpg

My experience with chicks is when they get to about three weeks old, they really start scratching and tearing things up. At that age, they would likely rip your puppy pads to shreds and maybe consume some of it. So, ditch the puppy pads by the third week. I just start mine on paper, layered with shavings then straw. When I'm ready to change it, I roll up the whole mess and dispose of it. When they start their scratching and eating anything in sight, they are put on wire until they are old enough to move out to their grow out house where they are on just shavings. Then after a couple of weeks there, they get to go outside of their house to their pen. I usually try to keep my chicks isolated for the first four weeks so their immune systems can develop.

Back
Top Bottom