Brooder box heat source question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LittleChocobo, Jun 2, 2010.

1. LittleChocobo

LittleChocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    So, I'm thinking of getting hatching eggs and putting a screen over the top of the box to keep the cats and dogs out, but I have some questions about potential heat sources.

Has anybody ever used this product ? If so, would you recommend it? Alternately, what specifically have you used, and how well did it work out for you? (I'm considering using it conjunction with a temperature regulator like this one , as I am away from the house for long periods of time.) Any suggestions? Have you used this kind of thing before?

Thanks in advance! : )

edit: Ah, I just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum. So sorry! I read "hatching eggs" and mis-assumed.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    I have only ever used clip on reading lamps in my brooders. They are fairly cheap at about $15 each- and I can add extra ones if needed. I do keep my brooders inside the house too- so that does keep the little ones warmer to begin with anyway. I am away from home 9 hours a day for work- and have never had one break or fail when in use yet.
  3. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I use a dull emitter bulb in a heat lamp holder. It doesn't give off any light, just heat, so the chicks get used to day and night.
  4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I use heat lamp's every now and then, but in one of my brooders I put in a thermostaticly controled water bed heater, it heats from the bottom up and the chicks love it and seem to do very well on it. I found the heater by mistake and thought hey this might work and it has.

5. LittleChocobo

LittleChocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Cool, thanks for your input! I didn't expect so many responses so quickly. BYC people are really on the ball. :3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by