1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder Box Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 17, 2013.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have an issue. This is my brooder:

[​IMG]

66 gourt storage box equipped with 60W bulb and half the top
    but the temp is still low

so I got these:

[​IMG]

and put it under neath the felt so it wouldn't be disturbed. I put 4 in there since it was small

and then i added another light. they are still peeping and huddled together.
    I'm thinking about changing out the pine and just going with pee pee pad so that if i use a heating pad underneath the cage it will penetrate above the pad since i had one underneath and since i have pine and felt it doesn't penetrate enough to make any difference.

Help..

2. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    why not just get a heat lamp?

3. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    cuz i don't have a tractor supply store near me.
    the temp is 86

4. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    You should probably be able to get one at Walmart.

5. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Yes, you can buy a heat lamp at Wal*Mart for cheap. You don't need the special light bulbs for them, just the regular is fine. Here is a lamp: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-C...5-18-2X6-Foot-Sjtw-Brooder-Lamp-Each/22177552

You could also find the brooder lamps at your local co-op or even hardware store. Heat lamps are very good ways of keeping your chicks at the right temperature, just decrease the temperature by moving the lamp up higher each week.

6. FatherofFlowers

FatherofFlowers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, they'll all have the lamps you need for about $10 or less

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Try using an 85 watt floodlight. That should do it. That's what I use. No need for a 250 watt in a brooder that size.
    Also, do not heat from both top and bottom. Thatc an cok the chicks. Just from the top is fine in itself, smile.
    You are a good chicken mommy! [​IMG]
    One thing...do..not... use.... any light marked "rugged" or "rough service" . Check the box, these lights have
    a teflon coating on them to make them "rough and ready" or some other such phrase. When they are turned on,
    they outgas a toxic gas which kills chickens. Here is an example of this kind of teflon-coated light:
    Rough Service Bulbs
    http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/13-41-rough-service-bulbs.aspx
    http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/13-41-rough-service-bulbs/rough-service-tuff-coated-616916.aspx
    Teflon coated glass to reduce breakage and shattering.
    Best Success,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  8. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Most awesome working cost effective thing ever. I just raised 7 chicks in a kiddie pool with garden fencing wrapped around it. Hay in the bottom with a 250 watt bulb clipped to a tv table leaning up against the set up. Its big enough to where they can get out from under it if too hot or move as close as they need to. All problems solved and very cost effective.

9. BrittBergh

BrittBergh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Harvest, Al
    We have a heat bulbs for night and one for day. Bought both at walmart for cheap! I had the lamp housing from an old lizard we had...so even at a petsmart they will have heat lamps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by