brooder box with removable panels

Ja Mee

Chirping
May 27, 2022
I'm designing our first real coop and have devoured ideas that I've seen on here and Pinterest. I have seen a picture showing what I want to do and cannot find it again.

I plan to have my roosts over a poop board. Under the poop shelf, I want to have brooder/bully timeout area. I would like to have the floor space open when it's not in use by a new flock of chicks or a bully/isolating chicken.

The picture I saw showed a removable side and front panel which made up the brooder. The front panel had a door. When they weren't needed, the panels were removed and stored. My husband thinks that he understands what I am wanting, but I think a picture would be invaluable.

If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

This isn't exactly what you were talking about but to return the floor space to the flock, all one would have to do with this is remove the hinges from the framing.
This design belongs to @Toothpick.
1660559125631.png

Thank you. Good suggestion. I'm hoping for an easier, tool-less solution. 🤪 My husband/builder says he has an idea, but I've learned that a picture/plan prevents misunderstandings and disappointment. 😊 Thank you!

My set up. 3x6 brooder space with hatch door on the left. I made a pop door (yellow arrow) that leads to the run, partitioned for a ‘see, no touch’ 3x9 run.
The front panels are framed to fit under the roost, secured by 4 screws each panel, removable and lay flat for storage when not in use.

62D7F871-E96C-434A-B136-DF0F76BE4835.jpeg
D9D0A8E7-7C74-41A5-B4CF-3AA305B2E1B0.jpeg

below: panels removed. my 9 wk olds still use the pop door. It also gives chicks an escape route from the occasional big girl chases.
The area under the short “L” roost is set up for 3rd nest/broody/ hospital. I have panels that fit the ends and front of the smaller area, one being an access door. I can add a perpendicular barrier under the 3x6 area to limit space (if needed) or make two hospital rooms. sml pop door can be covered with plexiglass to keep everyone in visual memory. partially covering provides better cross ventilation from attached run, and when space is not use (as seen in pic) it stays open 24/7, same as main pop door.
Fully enclosed, roofed predator proof run
8FB0F350-84B3-468C-AAF4-AFD563B6E7DC.jpeg

My set up. 3x6 brooder space with hatch door on the left. I made a pop door (yellow arrow) that leads to the run, partitioned for a ‘see, no touch’ 3x9 run.
The front panels are framed to fit under the roost, secured by 4 screws each panel, removable and lay flat for storage when not in use.

View attachment 3225963View attachment 3225965
below: panels removed. my 9 wk olds still use the pop door. It also gives chicks an escape route from the occasional big girl chases.
The area under the short “L” roost is set up for 3rd nest/broody/ hospital. I have panels that fit the ends and front of the smaller area, one being an access door. I can add a perpendicular barrier under the 3x6 area to limit space (if needed) or make two hospital rooms. sml pop door can be covered with plexiglass to keep everyone in visual memory. partially covering provides better cross ventilation from attached run, and when space is not use (as seen in pic) it stays open 24/7, same as main pop door.
Fully enclosed, roofed predator proof run
View attachment 3225966
That is so close to what i want to do! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom