Brooder box without top question

gmabry75

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Brandon, MS
At what age should I be concerned about my brooder not having a top. My brooder is a 4 by 8 box with 2 ft sides. Don't want to find out after one escapes. Thanks, Greg

I
Glad I read this picked my chicks up on Tuesday RIR had wing feathers and Barred Rocks are getting them. Using an old wooden chest for a brooder, going outside right now to build a top from spare wood and chicken wire.

I know what you mean. I would have thought I had a couple of weeks at least. Thankfully we have good people on this forum to keep us new folks straight.

I start out with one. I've seen two week old chicks fly 2' vertically up and 3' horizontal and there is no doubt in my mind they could have gone a lot further up and out if they wanted to.

What do you gain by waiting? What do you lose if you wait too long?

Yes, we put a top on the brooder immediately, and our sides are higher than 2'. Those little beasties are really good at getting out if given the chance!

Last edited:
Yes, we put a top on the brooder immediately, and our sides are higher than 2'. Those little beasties are really good at getting out if given the chance!
... and they run very fast once they're out. And they hide very well once they've stopped running. Been there, done the chases. Put a top on the brooder box before they get their wing feathers, which they do within days of hatching.

Ditto what everyone else said. I've had 2 day old ones jump pretty darned high and escape the brooder. Then they start peeping like crazy and it becomes a game of hide and seek trying to catch the little things.

I've had 2 day old chicks get in a nest about 14" off the floor. The broody says come to bed and they do. Some chicks that age did not make it in that nest until they were a couple of days older.

I think motivation has something to do with when they will try to escape the brooder, but probably what normally happens is that they jump/fly up to roost on the brooder edge and hop down on the wrorng side. But my brooder starts out covered so I really don't have experience with them jumping out of a brooder.

Ok. Install top immediately it is. Mine are 3 days old. Never would have dreamed they could get over it until a few weeks. Thanks all, Greg

Glad I read this picked my chicks up on Tuesday RIR had wing feathers and Barred Rocks are getting them. Using an old wooden chest for a brooder, going outside right now to build a top from spare wood and chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom