Brooder boxes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Centralflafred, May 30, 2010.

1. Centralflafred

Centralflafred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Plant City, Fla.
    I'm not what you'd call an old hand at this but I thought I'd share what works for me. I deliver groceries to grocery stores and I'm in different stores all the time. One of the things they have a hard time dealing with are the large bins that hold potatoes, apples, watermelons, and other types of produce through the year. They don't want them in the garbage but they won't fit in the cardboard bailer unless they are cut up into much smaller pieces. If I see one alone and need it I have never been turned down when I ask if I can have it. These bins are made of double thick cardboard and 48"LX40"W and 2 1/2' tall. When I get them home I put wood chips in them and they make perfect brooder boxes. Try asking your local market manager and see if they'll let you have some of theirs.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's a great idea. Not planning on raising anymore chicks, but will keep it in mind if friends do.

Imp

3. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Wow! This would have been good to know 11 days ago. lol! I'm going to need a bigger space for the layers in a week....I think I'll venture into the grocery store! Thanks!

4. Centralflafred

Centralflafred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Plant City, Fla.
    The only real drawback I've found is that when they are really little they can run to the back side and you can't reach them. Mine that I have now were hatched on the 24th. I'm thinking of getting a small fish net tomorrow and putting a long handle on it.

5. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    [​IMG]

6. mommiextwo

mommiextwo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    That is SUCH an awesome idea! I have 11 chicks in the largest Rubbermaid tote I have seen, but they will be huge before they'll get outside in the coop. It's still too cold here, so I have to keep them in til they're about 8 weeks old. Thanks for the tip, I'll hunt around tomorrow.
    Hey, the fishnet thing cracked me up! lol

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Your avatar sure looks like a mighty fine Arabain. Such a proud animal. [​IMG]

8. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Flo Fred I went to Store a little while ago and looked at those Boxes.I Have to agree that's a great idea.As far as catching chicks partition off a section when there small then remove later.Fish net works Great .I got to get mine out for them Bobwhites now and then...cva34

And of course you could cut the box and modify with Glue and Duct tape

Them some tough looking Boxes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by