Brooder Bulb question

Avonlea22

Jessamine Cottage
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
So, My baby chicks will be arriving Oct. 12th. I currently have a non-infrared white bulb.

I just recently read that a red lamp may be better as it may help prevent the chicks pecking at each other or themseleves. I'm hesitant to buy a red infrared bulb as i've also read that it's difficult to monitor the temperature.

What do you all use or suggest?

Thanks

oh wow, I haven't heard about the pecking at each other tidbit! I bought the white bulb too for my heat lamp. My babies arrive in another week! I looked at the red bulbs, but they were more pricey and the white bulbs were on sale for 2 bulbs for $3. I thought that was a good deal. I've been looking at pictures of people's brooders and their set-ups, and I noticed the majority had white bulbs, so I felt safe in buying those. This will be interesting to see what others might say!

its only hard to read the red liquid thermometer. a digital or even a blue liquid thermometer would solve that problem very easily.

and definitely go with a red bulb.

Use the red bulb. It calms them. I wouldn't worry about the specificity of the temps, as chicks self regulate. If they are too hot, they will move as far as they can from heat circle, hold their wings out and pant in the worst case scenario. If they are too cold, they huddle/pile up inside the heat circle, which is dangerous because they can smother the little ones on the bottom of the pile.

Raise or lower the bulb to increase/decrease the temperature. Err slightly on the side of a bit cool as opposed to too hot. Also be sure your brooder is plenty big enough for them to move far away from the heat circle to cool off. They tend to move out to play and in to sleep.

Last edited:
I am going to go against the tide here and say that I have always used the white bulb and never had a problem. I have raised lots of chicks under them. However, I am always trying to get the light off of them as soon as possible so this may not be the best option for fall chicks who will have lots of weeks under the lights.

I am also getting fall chicks and I will start with a white and a red lights, because I am getting a lot of chicks. When they graduate to only needing on light for general warmth I will use the red so they can sleep easier. I am assuming that they will need a light on at night for a long time, so I will use red for that. I normally try to get the nighttime light off as quickly as I can with my spring and summer babies.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going to go with the red bulb, and use a digital thermometer.

I got a red bulb and it is working fine for me It is just hard to find lower wattages bulbs. I am finding that soon the 250 W bulb will be too strong, can't move the bulb any higher up as it is already near the ceiling of the coop. Finally I found a 150W one at Petsmart in the reptile dept. I have also noticed that my chicks actually prefer cooler temps than what the books tell us. Mine are now about 10 days old and are happiest at between 85 and 90 degrees.

I have one of the wireless thermometers, that way I can monitor from the house and adjust when I notice it gets too hot or too cold. My brooder is in the coop and I have the readout part in the house. They are also enjoying playing with the sensor, burying it beneath the bedding which skews my readings, lol.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's exactly what I was planning on doing.
smile.png

just keep in mind that the range for them is about 100 ft. Mine reads out fine only in one spot in our house the coop is about 100 ft from the house. Any further and it would have been useless.

I used a red bulb without a thermometer. I just watched to chicks to determine if they were too hot or cold and adjusted the light up and down as needed. Given the light is going to be on them 24/7 for several weeks I would think the red bulb would be less stressful than a bright white light, but what do I know?
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom