Brooder check; first timer.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShannonO, Mar 12, 2017.

1. ShannonO

ShannonO Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi all. After a couple rounds of MHP design and re-design, I think I'm close.

I'm getting ten chicks tomorrow. How is this setup? Here's my big question: can the brooder be too big? If no, I'll take that superfluous box out. If yes, I assume I should reconfigure so the MHP rear isn't enclosed by three walls.

Looking into a nipple waterer.

[​IMG]

Any comments are much appreciated.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    A brooder cannot be too big IMO. I set up a 6ft*8ft brooder and put bits of tree branches in their, along with an inverted cardboard box (with sections cut from each side) for them to rest under or perch on and they seem to love the space. Additionally, the branches get them used to perching, so I've never had an issue with "training" them to use roosts when they move outdoors. I tend to put a traditional drinker and a nipple drinker in the brooder. After a week or so, they seem to get the hang of using the nipple drinker (thereafter I remove the other drinker).

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks good.
    MHP should be fine there once you remove that smaller box.
    You're may well need a cover within a week or two.

1 person likes this.
  4. ShannonO

ShannonO Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Thank you both! I've got chicken wire ready to make a cover. Will remove the smaller box and get some more perches from the woods. Thank you much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by