brooder cleaning

mac_chooks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 24, 2007
SF Bay Area
I was warned but I'm still amazed at how much poop 4 chicks can make. Those of you with 25 or more, wow.

What sort of cleaning should I be doing? The chicks are on pine shavings and I put down wood to move the waterer and feeder up a little. They still poop in one or the other at least once a day. I'm fine cleaning those out often since they are easy and my 9 yo son actually offered that duty (anything to avoid poop duty).

I found with the waterer I can just run it under the faucet and clear out the pine bits that way as long as there is no poop. The food thing I refill unless they pooped in it.

But the bedding! OMG do they poop everywhere. So do I replace the shavings every day? Like all of it? I have been sort of picking out the poop (with a paper towel in my hand...), stirring it to make the poop drop down and then adding more, figuring I would change out the whole thing weekly.

What do other people do with the pine shavings in their brooders?

I only have 4 chicks so the scale is pretty small, but they are in the dining room so somehow it has to look clean before dinner!
lau.gif

You have the right plan going! Stir the shavings up. Then add a new layer if you need to. You shouldn't have to change them daily. About once a week dump them out and add all new bedding.

I have 34 chicks in a large horse water tank in the family room with about 4 inches of pine shavings....for a week now . I just stir them up every day .......so far so good still smells like pine shavings..

It depends on how large your brooder is. The larger it is, the more sq ft you have allowing the bedding to stay cleaner longer.
I always like to provide extra room for exercise, that the peeps always use. It also gives the poo a chance to be spread around over a larger area. Creating a cleaner enviornment.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom