Brooder cover?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clkipp, Jan 8, 2010.

1. clkipp

clkipp New Egg

Jan 8, 2010
    We got a shipment of chicks (they hatched Tues) yesterday, and we're currently keeping them in a 30"x30" box with sides ~ 13" high. I have one of the flaps folded over the top. When do we need to cover the top so they can't get out? They're inside the house, in their own room, so the cat can't get to them. What is a good cover? The brooder lamp hangs down into the box, so it would be hard to put wire mesh or something on the top. I'm open to ideas!

2. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    If you use the hardware cloth....which is wire mesh as a top you can set your heat lamp directly on it. Just be very careful not to let it slip to the side and get the cardboard box hot as it will burn. We use rubbermaid large bins for our brooders....there is a post going on that already...maybe something to switch to for fire safety.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=282970

3. reedyfork

reedyfork Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Our five chicks are in a large cardboard box in the house (4' x 2' x 2'). The other day, at 5 wks. old, I came home to find one perched on the top rim of the box. Luckily that's as far as she got!

Anyway, I immediately made a "lid" with hardware cloth attached to a 1" x 2" frame. Very easy, and it simply lifts on and off when you need to access inside.

Good luck!

Ron

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I'm just going to drape deer netting over it.

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    If you are on a limited budget you don't need to use hardware cloth for a cover unless you are keeping out other pets. I used poultry wire last year and it worked fine.

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I used a baby gate.

7. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    poultry wire does work just fine.

8. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I started my brooders last night and used chicken wire on one and window screen from an old one. When the birds are older and stronger ( about 2 wks?) I will switch to the stronger material/brooder.

9. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    We are making our brooder cover tonight, gonna try to use chicken wire overlapped to make the holes smaller to keep the kitties out. If it doesn't work, we are gonna use hardware cloth. I will post pics when I get it working, probably in my thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=282970

You
    will find some helpful info on that thread. [​IMG]

10. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    2+4 and poultry wire works just fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by