Brooder cover?

clkipp

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
We got a shipment of chicks (they hatched Tues) yesterday, and we're currently keeping them in a 30"x30" box with sides ~ 13" high. I have one of the flaps folded over the top. When do we need to cover the top so they can't get out? They're inside the house, in their own room, so the cat can't get to them. What is a good cover? The brooder lamp hangs down into the box, so it would be hard to put wire mesh or something on the top. I'm open to ideas!

Our five chicks are in a large cardboard box in the house (4' x 2' x 2'). The other day, at 5 wks. old, I came home to find one perched on the top rim of the box. Luckily that's as far as she got!

Anyway, I immediately made a "lid" with hardware cloth attached to a 1" x 2" frame. Very easy, and it simply lifts on and off when you need to access inside.

Good luck!

Ron

If you are on a limited budget you don't need to use hardware cloth for a cover unless you are keeping out other pets. I used poultry wire last year and it worked fine.

I started my brooders last night and used chicken wire on one and window screen from an old one. When the birds are older and stronger ( about 2 wks?) I will switch to the stronger material/brooder.

We are making our brooder cover tonight, gonna try to use chicken wire overlapped to make the holes smaller to keep the kitties out. If it doesn't work, we are gonna use hardware cloth. I will post pics when I get it working, probably in my thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=282970

You
will find some helpful info on that thread.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom