brooder cover

jgaepi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
davis, ca
My baby chicks arrive next Thursday. How long until I need to create a hardware cloth cover to keep them in? I can't imagine they can jump out of 18 inches in the first few days.

Also, I bought a 4ft by 2ft by 18inch clear plastic tub from Target. That would suffice for 5 chicks, right?

They'll be ok for the first few days, but once those little wing feathers come in they get crazy! I used a 46 gallon plastic tub for 20 chicks for the first week, so your 5 should be good in there for a while. Good luck with your new babies!

Cut out the center of the top and use zip ties to attach screen or wire. Keeps the little Wright Brother wannabes from flying out.

I don't know how long you have since my brooder has a top, but I'd do it sooner rather than later. Time has a way of really flying past the way they grow. I've seen a broody hen get three day old chicks up into a nest about a foot off the ground, so they can go vertical pretty quickly if they are motivated. She tells them to come and they do. Once one figures how to escape, they all will learn pretty quickly.

A brooder that size should work great. I suggest you keep one area the right temperature and let the rest cool down as it will instead of trying to keep the entire brooder the perfect temperature. You don't have to worry about temperature and they will find their own comfort zone if you give them a choice.

I have my brooder out in the coop made totally out of wire, but I have a plastic drop cloth wrapped around the bottom to stop all drafts. The top half of the walls and the top are all wire so they get plenty of ventilation. One area is kept warm but the far corners cool off to whatever the ambient temperature is, often way below the "perfect" temperatures. You'd be surprised how much time even three day old chicks spend in the colder areas, only going back to the warm area occasionally. I think they are healthier and get acclimated much better if they have a range of temperatures. My brooder is 3' x 5', but your 2' x 4' should be plenty big enough to heat one area ansd let the rest cool off.

Back
Top Bottom