Brooder feedback please!

Kenberg

Chirping
May 22, 2020
Maine
Hi! I have these 4 chicks (2 bantam, 2 EE) who are about a week and a half old. The two EE like pecking at the bantams and I was wondering if my brooder is too small? The radiant heat plate I got won't fit in the brooder if I set it up like a brooder heat plate so I have it standing up but they seem to be fine with that. Feedback please?
0509221639_HDR.jpg

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

Your instincts are good, that little tub is indeed too small. The usual recommended minimums are 1/2 square foot per chick for the first 2 weeks, 1 square foot per chick until 4 weeks, and 2 square foot per chick until 8 weeks. But if you can give them more space it's good.

Also, they need to be able to get under that plate to keep warm properly.

Are these your first chickens? Do you have your coop yet?

If you can run an extension cord to the coop you could brood right in the coop itself.

Hi! I have these 4 chicks (2 bantam, 2 EE) who are about a week and a half old. The two EE like pecking at the bantams and I was wondering if my brooder is too small? The radiant heat plate I got won't fit in the brooder if I set it up like a brooder heat plate so I have it standing up but they seem to be fine with that. Feedback please?View attachment 3099796
That wooden perch isn’t necessary for a while

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

Your instincts are good, that little tub is indeed too small. The usual recommended minimums are 1/2 square foot per chick for the first 2 weeks, 1 square foot per chick until 4 weeks, and 2 square foot per chick until 8 weeks. But if you can give them more space it's good.

Also, they need to be able to get under that plate to keep warm properly.

Are these your first chickens? Do you have your coop yet?

If you can run an extension cord to the coop you could brood right in the coop itself.
I live in maine, and it's unseasonably cold here still so I'm hesitant to move them to the coop but yes I have one. I've had chickens before, and used this size tub until they were about 3 weeks old and then moved them to a kiddie pool. But these ones are a lot smaller than my other 4 were so I thought this would be ok... As far as the heat plate I did wonder if they would be warm enough but they spend quite a bit of time away from it so they don't seem to be cold. I'll most likely move them to a larger brooder soon. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom