Brooder for ducklings

DeCanard

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
Ohio
Hi! I'm new to BYC. I'm hoping to get ducks this spring (as part of a 4-H project), but I am unsure on how I should make the brooder. Does anyone have ideas or pictures? Thanks!

I like the link Kevin gave.

A lot will depend on where you are (temps, etc) and when you are wanting to brood. My first runners I kept inside for about 2 months, they hatched in October. I used a refrigerator box with plastic on the floor, puppy pads and pine shavings.
I had a hen hatch a clutch outside in early summer.

The colder it is the more elaborate a setup you need. I am getting some ducklings (they are incubating now) in about 24 days.
he.gif
I couldn't resist though. I am setting up a section of my duck run so that I can brood them outdoors. They stink inside!
big_smile.png

Good luck, you can find tons of info on BYC. But basics are keep them warm and dry. No drafts.

This is my inside brooder. For the first couple weeks until I move them to the outside brooder.

Its just a kiddie pool I picked up at Big R for about $9.99. And I put some suff in the brooder so dont get lonely. They LOVE the teddy bear. They like to sit in between his front legs or on top of it lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom