Brooder for incubator...

Intheswamp

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 25, 2009
South Alabama
This is probably an old idea that everybody is aware of, but I figured I'd mention it anyhow...

I've been reading a lot about the LGs not holding temperature, the Hovas having problems, temperature fluctuations between day and night, etc., and got to thinking about it...

What about putting the incubator down into a larger box...basically creating an "incubator brooder"?

Placing the incubator down into a cardboard box would establish a buffer zone immediately around the incubator...it would help with drafts and be kind of like an "air-lock" in helping to insulate the incubator.

A couple of pieces of foam, cardboard, or whatever in the bottom would give the incubator some extra insulation on the bottom.

My thinking tells me there would need to be at least 6 inches of clearance between the incubator and box on all sides...more the better.

Adequate ventilation would need to be assured...especially in the later days of incubation.

Undoubtedly, it would be a bit more trouble to work with an incubator inside of another box, but creatively cutting access holes/doors in the cardboard and Saran Wrap windows could solve a good bit of that. A digital thermometer with "outdoor probe" could pipe the temperature to the outside for monitoring...

Just some thoughts, or some might say..."reinventing the wheel".
hmm.png

FWIW,
Ed

Back
Top Bottom