Brooder for Meat birds

acechicks

Chirping
8 Years
May 9, 2011
West Michigan
I got 15 meat birds last year. We plan on getting more this spring. I have a great setup for them once they get outside. But i need to figure out something for them when they are little and need to be under the heat lamp. Last year we just made a cardboard brooder but they poop so much it was hard to keep clean and really did not work. I am looking for something they will keep 25 Cornish Rocks and is easy to clean. I also really do not want to use a wire floor. I know I'm picky
smile.png
smile.png
Thanks for any help you can give!!!!

i just use rubbermaid tubs - the BIG ones - the trick I like best is to line them with a few layers of old, cut up feed bags, OR those "wee pads" for house training puppies...THEN put in your shavings...add fresh shavings a few times to freshen up...and when ready after a few days, simply shuffle chicks a tad, then lift out the "liners" complete with shavings and all...

It took about 10 minutes to clean everything by the end, and all I had to do some days was toss in fresh shavings...I did have to add a new tub here and there as the chicks grew to expand their available space and it was tight for a few days before they went out finally...but if the weather was nice I put them out in the day time anyways...I liked it
smile.png
Beat the heck outta the old giant box we had been using! It was a monster made out of plywood, hard to move and even harder to clean out!

PLUS you have the "bleachable" factor - plastic can be bleached clean when done and left to sit in the sunshine and dry and such...wood is more of a pain to really get clean I think...

OOH! AND I REALLY like that you can cut out the lids and replace it with wire...keeps the little buggers in when they learn how to escape and keeps small children and others OUT (sort of at least)...it's been a nice little investment and I think even when i get our new "brooder room" ready I will still use them, just move them out to that room...easily sanitized, reusable and durable, and escape proof all in one
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you - I LOVE them because they soak up any spills with the waterer and seem to wick it off of the shavings a little, so less sloppy messes
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom