Brooder for my barn

pinkbabyhall

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Glen Rock, PA
Im making a brooder in my goat barn(old hog barn) in one of the free stalls but I don't quite know how I should make it. I tried getting one of those kits from tractor supply and using the cardboard roll around the inside of the stall but it wasn't long enough. I have made brooders in the past for inside for only a few chicks. but now I have ordered 15 chicks in the mail and they will be here July 7th, 2014. I just need some ideas on how to make it.

I assume you have electric in there. For 15 chicks I would find or buy a large plastic storage container (Sterilite or Ruubbermaid for ex) and a clamp-on reflector (TSC, Lowes, etc). Put shavings in there and paper towels on top for the first few days. Hang or clamp the light on and use a 60 - 100 watt bulb. Adjust the height to make the chicks comfortable (or get a tabletop dimmer at the home center to dim adjust the heat). Feed and water them as you would in a basement and when they start jumping out, just turn it on it's side so they can come and go as they please.

I use a large old stock tank with a homemade hardware cloth lid. I have started chicks in a big dog crate in my garage or basement, which works great for a week or two. Two issues to think about; predator safety in the barn, and temperature control. Too hot will be as bad as too cold, so if you're having hot days and much cooler nights, the barn may be a poor choice, especially in a small container with no escape from heat or cold. Mary

Back
Top Bottom