Brooder for Turkey poults, how big?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by columbiacritter, Nov 2, 2008.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Will my 6'l x 3'w x 3'h brooder work for about 6 turkey poults to get them big enough to live outside? I hope so because my husband will kill me if I have to build anything bigger. [​IMG]

2. BeakSanctuary

BeakSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    I'm too new at this to speak with authority, but I've raised several batches this year in a similar-sized set-up. My brooder for everything to include turkey poults has been a lawn tractor wagon with a fiting of hardware cloth over 1x2 boards for the bottom and top. I moved them to a different container outside before they were bigger to be released that was 8x3x2. Hope you have fun!

3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

That setup should be good for 6 turkeys for the time being..We start our's inside in a 8'x 5' brooder w/heat lamp(up-to 15 poults) then they go out side(around 6-8 weeks depending on feather cond.) into a movable heated camper trailer brooder till old enough for the flight pen..Just watch for picking, move them asap if it would start..

We mist are turkeys with a spray bottle once out side in the summer to prepare them for the rain in the coming seasons and i have never lost a turkey poult to any outside elements doing the misting before being put out into the flight pens.

Charlie

here's a pick of the converted camper with attached dog run..which is all movable..dog run is tarped during brooding phaze and misting as we dont want them getting soaked yet..
    [​IMG]

Pick of the small brooder not very easy to see..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    That would work the get them started. The biggest thing with getting turkeys started is don't over crowd them, keep the litter clean and dry.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by