Brooder Heat Suggestions

FauxintheCoop

Songster
Apr 7, 2021
Hey all!

I'm just about ready to start my quail adventures but I have a couple brooder questions, specifically the heating aspect!
I'm using a modified dog kennel, secured with 1/4" mesh to prevent escape. Does anyone have heating element recommendations? All the heat lamps I've seen have a bunch of reviews warning of fire hazards, so are there safer options with a pine shavings flooring? Maybe a heating plate?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

I use a regular old light bulb in a clippy lamp.
Screenshot_20220102-190455.png

I've used heat lamps for over 50 years....I've had no 'fire hazards' with there use.
Heat plates don't produce enough heat at the right level of adjustment for the chicks. I haven't tried a MHP (Momma Heating Pad) but several have and swear by it.
The reptile lamps have an excellent results too!
Whichever method you use, safety is still a concern. Besides a broody hen, all alternative sources of heating should be used with caution!

How many quails? I’m using a seedling heat mat under an aldi’s chips box for 7 quails. For the first week and a half I gave them an insulated enclosed cave made from a small amazon shipping box. I also cover the brooder to keep the heat in as much as possible.

76B63F1F-0E93-4952-B520-6696F847F686.jpeg
After that, I take out the cave, expand the brooder with a second box from Aldis and open it up for ventilation. My average temp in the kitchen is 50F. They’re all doing well.

BD93DEB2-77EF-493E-A45F-0D736F226E2E.jpeg
My brooder is basically a cardboard box lined with a feed bag cut to size. The heating mat goes under the feed bag liner.

2E9D6F75-653C-45E7-976D-2CE1EEA64FC7.jpeg
They’re 3 weeks old today :)

Attachments

• 3F4A39C0-BD93-42DC-A6A2-E5D30265A7D7.jpeg
    3F4A39C0-BD93-42DC-A6A2-E5D30265A7D7.jpeg
    800.3 KB · Views: 2
@007Sean
That is very reassuring, thank you!! Im going to be using cardboard as reinforcement walls but the rest should be fairly heat resistant

@yakitori
Thank you for such a thorough break down!! This really helps, my set up is a bit bigger but I'm getting great ideas! I don't have pictures of it yet but I'm using a dog kennel with cardboard reinforced walls and lining the removable plastic tray on the bottom with automotive paper towels and pine shavings for easy clean up. My biggest concern is heat, the lamp i got is smaller than I thought but I have a few weeks before the eggs arrive so I can play around with placement

automotive paper towels and pine shavings for easy clean up.
I actually don’t change out the bedding until I’m done brooding. I break down pine pellets by adding water. then just add more to the brooder as needed. It’s fairly dusty, and they looove taking dustbaths in it. But quails are going to be dusty anyway....

The only issue I have with dog kennels is accessibility. I have 4 or 5 spare kennels I use for other purposes, but never brooding. It’s hard to reach the babies and they have way too many nooks and crannies! I also find them to be a tad too tall... they leak bedding all over the place too.

I went the tote route as well, but in the end found that I prefer to use cardboard boxes that are super easy to modify for the feeders and waterers, and I can toss them right after I’m done.

Last edited:
In the summer I use a heat plate propped up on an incline so they can be on top or under it, in the winter I use I ceramic based reflector with a ceramic heat emitter for reptiles (that I've had for 12 years now, same bulb and everything). The heat plate just doesn't get warm enough for quail in the first few days if the weather is cold and some models use pressure to sense an animal and turn on or they cycle on and off, so just be sure to read up on how the model you choose works if you go that route.

@yakitori
I can absolutely see how I might have some issues with the kennel. I'm covering the inside with cardboard almost completely - the dog kennel is really just my outline/bars to keep the cardboard steady. Do you have issues with the cardboard box walls getting soiled?

@MadamContrary
I definitely plan to use a lamp! I wanted to make sure it was the safest route and see if others had any alternative ideas. I don't think I'll experiment much with a heat plate... I'm in central California and I'm betting the weather when the quail hatch will be in the 55-65° range during the day at the coolest. Will a single lamp be enough? It's a ceramic base with a 150 watt bulb

@yakitori
I can absolutely see how I might have some issues with the kennel. I'm covering the inside with cardboard almost completely - the dog kennel is really just my outline/bars to keep the cardboard steady. Do you have issues with the cardboard box walls getting soiled?

@MadamContrary
I definitely plan to use a lamp! I wanted to make sure it was the safest route and see if others had any alternative ideas. I don't think I'll experiment much with a heat plate... I'm in central California and I'm betting the weather when the quail hatch will be in the 55-65° range during the day at the coolest. Will a single lamp be enough? It's a ceramic base with a 150 watt bulb
Yes, one should be plenty if you're not hatching over 30 birds. I highly suggest a red bulb if you don't do a ceramic heat emitter. Quail are very photosensitive, however they will need light 24/7 until you know for sure that they are all eating, drinking, and know how to get back to the heat source. Then you can let them have natural light cycles.

Back
Top Bottom