Brooder Heating Plate vs Infrared Bulb

I only have experience with quail under a heating plate, but I love it. The birds have more control over their temperature, and it gives them a place to shelter when they needed the security. Because you can raise the plate, you're able to wean them off the heat as early as possible. My 1ft square plate is just about cozy for 10 young quail who want to nap under it together, but I can see 26 chicks getting cramped fast. Most brands exaggerate how many birds they can heat comfortably at once.

Last edited:
I have 2 of the premier 1 plates. A 20 chick plate for brooding inside and a 50 chick plate for brooding outside. I never looked back, for several reasons
  1. Using a heater plate gets the chicks used to day/night cycles
  2. They won't make your chicks too hot
  3. It allows chicks to harden to the ambient temps much quicker, like being under a mama hen
  4. There is MUCH less fire risk than with a bulb (I actually almost had a coop fire once because my chickens knocked the light over into the pine shavings).
I would recommend Premier 1's plates over Brinsea for a couple reasons.
  • They are less expensive
  • Are rated to work at lower ambient temps (I've had mine work well in the teens F, Brinsea works best at 45F or higher).
  • Brinsea plates have caused fires in the last few years

Thank you! The one I was looking at is Premier. I like them because they have the cover and you can get an external temperature control so you can raise it and lower the temperature as they get bigger. Do you think the 50 chick brooder would handle 26 chicks? Plus whatever extras I'm sure they'll send.

Thank you! The one I was looking at is Premier. I like them because they have the cover and you can get an external temperature control so you can raise it and lower the temperature as they get bigger. Do you think the 50 chick brooder would handle 26 chicks? Plus whatever extras I'm sure they'll send.
It will definitely handle that many. I would trust it with as many as 40 chicks until they feather out.

Back
Top Bottom