Brooder heating question?

It's warm enough if they have a huddle box.
All it is is a box on its side with the side and bottom flaps cut off and the top flap hanging down with lots of fluffy warm bedding in it. The chicks will go in there and keep each other warm with their body heat.
By closing the garage windows before the temperature starts to drop, you should be able to maintain an ambient temperature in the garage overnight that shouldn't drop below 80 if it's in the mid 90's during the day. That is plenty warm for them in a huddle box.
I'd definitely open up windows to allow excess heat out during the day. Try not to let it get hotter than 90 in the garage.
Is this box big enough or should i use a bigger one t
All it is is a box on its side with the side and bottom flaps cut off and the top flap hanging down with lots of fluffy warm bedding in it. The chicks will go in there and keep each other warm with their body heat.
By closing the garage windows before the temperature starts to drop, you should be able to maintain an ambient temperature in the garage overnight that shouldn't drop below 80 if it's in the mid 90's during the day. That is plenty warm for them in a huddle box.
I'd definitely open up windows to allow excess heat out during the day. Try not to let it get hotter than 90 in the garage.
How big should the box be should it be a smaller box or a large box

Ok I'll do that we have fencing over top of their brooder so they can't touch it and the lamp has protective metal around it, we also have it chained up so it can't fall ill test out the temps for them thanks🙂
I really like the idea of chaining the lamp in place. And others also chain it also.

Is this box big enough or should i use a bigger one t

How big should the box be should it be a smaller box or a large box
[/QUO
is this box⤵ big enough
20200703_180212.jpg

This is how I have mine chained:
View attachment 2225568

View attachment 2225569

I use a carabiner to move it up and down the doubled chain:
View attachment 2225571

It's unplugged when it gets too hot underneath and gets adjusted up and down according to the thermometer.
Mine is chained the same we used the clamp to hold the chain so it doesn't hang down by the lamp and a carabiner on the hanging holder( don't mind the mess lol) the chain is wrapped around a board that is skewed to our ceiling so we can raise it and lower it
20200703_180607.jpg
20200703_180553.jpg
20200703_180557.jpg

If it's that warm and they are 10 days old, I would just give them a huddle box for the night and no other source of heat. Close the garage at night to secure and keep the heat in then open windows during the day so it doesn't get too hot.
So tonight I'm going to not use any heat lamps ill check the thermometer before i go to bed. What temp is to cold like on the thermometer I've been trying to keep it around 85 but since it's going to get down to 72 tonight it may be cooler in the brooder so, what temp in the brooder is to cold( btw set up the huddle box)

I took the clamp off because it was in my way.
We had a part of the chain hanging so instead of cutting the chain we just clamped it but since it's so hot I'm going to do what everyone has suggested and give them a huddle box and watch the thermometer because the lowest temp tonight is going to be 72 but if we get chicks in the winter sometime we will use it🙂

Ok so I have 3, 10 day old chicks that are staying in our garage in the day time it's about 95 degrees but a tad bit cooler in the garage but at night it drops down to 70 so it would be a bit cooler in the garage i have two heating lamp bulbs a 40 watt red reptile light and a 250 watt red chick light that's all i could get my pet store is out of stock of a lot of their reptile lights and the 250 watt was the only one at tractor supply, so wich one do i use. I don't want them to over heat and since it's summer and such a small broader i thought i could use the 40 watt and just keep it pretty low but any help and advice is greatly appreciated! I just looked online and they have the 60 watt and 100 watt in stock i could go get those so now which one 40, 60, 100, 250 watt
Ok y'all so what I'm going to do is just set up their huddle box check the thermometer before i go to bed and hope for the best. So no heat lamp if anyone has any other suggesting please let me know. And thanks for all the great advice!

Tomorrow night the lowest temp is 65 can they still use the huddle box or should i use the 40 watt bulb in the heat lamp

Back
Top Bottom