Brooder Help Needed!

Tylt33

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Chico, California
Today when my fiance and I were out looking at chicks we found a store that had a really neat brooder. Basically it looked like a cat pan, with curved glass sides, and cage wiring on the top. It blocked drafts, kept heat in, and would theoretically keep our cats out. My fiance decided what *we* need something like that, and that my cardboard box would no longer do. And of course the feed store that we saw it at doesn't sell those brooders, and I have no idea where they got it. Would a small animal cage be appropriate for chicks? If anyone has any links to something that might fit the bill, it would be appreciated. Basically she wants something that we can have in our living room so that we can spend time with our chicks but without an open top so that cats can't drop in. Thank you for your help!

I use rabbit cages - the kind with the plastic base that's about 6-8" high, and wire top. The wire top is also handy for a clip-on heat lamp. I think you can get the idea from this pic,...you can kind of see the wire over on the right side of the pic...

15879_cochinsnfavs.jpg

Quote:
That looks really good- too deep for the cats to get a paw in. Any idea where I can get one? The "Super Pet" brands don't look like they're that deep.

I use a clear plastic storage tote from Walmart and put an old window screen with a brick on top for a cover. When they out grow that, I move them to a cardboard refrigerator box. Then when they are done with the box, I burn it.

Quote:
That looks really good- too deep for the cats to get a paw in. Any idea where I can get one? The "Super Pet" brands don't look like they're that deep.

I found them at my local feed store. There are guinea pig cages that are the same style but not as deep, these are specifically for rabbits. It also has not only the small front door, but the whole top lifts up too...much easier for getting feeders and waterers in and out.

Very nice setup there! It will serve you perfectly for a couple of weeks...then the chicks will be big enough to need more room. This growth happens fast and sneaks up quickly, so don't wait to prepare for enlargement of the facilities! Trust me, TWICE I had to come up with a solution faster than I wanted to... c'est la vie!
tongue.png

Just like rungirl said. I use a storage box. Cut half of the top off and tape or staple a piece of hardware cloth on top of the hole. I then use a reflector and a regular 80 watt flood light to keep them warm. As they get older use light bulbs with lower wattage. Be sure to keep checking the temp. Don't use a heat lamp because it gets too hot. I also put a thermometer in to keep an eye on the temp. If it gets too hot under the light they can move over away from the light. Here's a pic to look at. I'm actually using one right now with some black copper marans..1 week old. Have fun and good luck!

57678_dscn0293.jpg

I build my brooder for next to nothing. My friend was throwing out a baby crib and I decided that I could actually use that for my brooder. I went out and bought some chicken wire and zip ties. I ten took the chicken wire and enclosed the inside oft he crib and Used garden edging to create a 4 inch barrier on the inside of the chicken wire. I then added the shavings, a couple layers of newspaper for the first few days and sprinkled feed on the floor so they can begin scratching for their food. for the top I used the remainder of the wire I had left and some finishing lumber I had laying around and stapled the wire to the lumber to make a quick top that is sturdy enough to hold 2 cats and a heat lamp. now that my chicks are 2 weeks old I replaced the newspaper with hay or straw and still sprinkle the ground with feed its funny seeing them scratch away like crazy. in about a week or two I will have to replace my brooder for something a little bigger. but the crib came in super handy. hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom