Brooder Help Needed!!!!

FarmerGrant011

Songster
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
Ok, so I am getting chicks and I am trying to find the right temperature for them... What is it? In one part, the ground is at 100.3 Is this too hot or no? And that is the highest point.

I think you want to keep your new chicks at approx. 85-90 degrees. I live in FL. so I only needed a light on them at night when they were small and only shine it in one corner so IF they do get too hot, there is a place that is cooler.

how old are the chicks? that determines the temp. 1 week 95, 2 weeks 90, 3 weeks 85 and so on, the brooder light that worked best for us was red, red keeps them from picking and pecking at each other, which you want to avoid. make sure the chicks have enough space in their brooder box to get away from the heat if they need to, we used a 55 gallon rubbermaid container for 4 chicks. don't put the water or the food under the light. the chicks will let you know if they're too hot or too cool. if they huddle together under the light and sound stressed out they're cold, if the all try and get as far away from the light and spread their wings out they'e too hot. you'll do just great, just listen to your chicks, and keep posting any questions here!! enjoy those babies!!!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom