Brooder Help

MS9325

Songster
12 Years
Oct 20, 2007
I usually put my chicks in an old rabbit cage that has urine guards. Its in my garage. But its still a bit cold out side to even tempt it as its too open. I have a 250 watt light and was wondering if it would catch a cardboard box on fire, as I have a big box i can brood them in, I also have the option of a tote, but dont want to melt it. They would be staying in my spare bedroom. sorry it this sounds stupid. I have 20 chicks coming friday from Ideal and want to get everything put together. Thanks

Any heat lamp can be a fire hazard. Tie it up very securely away from anything that is flammable, and you should be fine. A 6 inch distance from cardboard should be "good enough" from all sides.

I agree with Silkie...I use cardboard boxes all the time for my brooders...I use a heatlamp but since its in the house I just pop in a 100 or 150 watt light bulb instead of the 250's..first time I ever raised peeps I thought I had to have the 250 but that isn't the case if it's in the house.....Keep your lamp securely clamped on something besides the cardboard box and 6 inches away you will be fine...monitor your temps under the lamp to insure its about 95 degrees and they have a place to get away from the direct heat....

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I will have them in the house so I will use a 100 watt bulb instead of a 250 watt, Thanks a bunch.

I put one of those rodes that you use to turn blinds back and forth and put it across the top of my cardboard box then tied the extension cord to it and let the light bulb hang inside the middle of the box so it wouldn't be as much of a fire hazard. You could use a dowel stick or rome other kind of stick the same way.

Back
Top Bottom