Brooder Help

Geranium55

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
I need some help im getting some baby chicks in a few weeks and I dont have a brooder yet. Could anyone help me how to design a brooder or any examples on how yall built one please?

How many chicks? Indoors or out? Where are you?

I brooded mine in a spare bedroom, a serious mistake as their dander gets all over the house, a daily dust storm and health issue, never mind the mess. I made it out of a cardboard mattress box and duct tape. If I did it now I'd just put them in the coop with a heat lamp and a couple of bales of hay to make a smaller space. They did NOT make it 8 weeks in the house, I think maybe 4 at most.

Their space requirements are:

0.5 sq ft per chick for 2 weeks
1 sq ft per chick for weeks 3 and 4
2 sq ft per chick for weeks 4 through 8

At 8 weeks they should be fully feathered and go outdoors -- if you can stand them in the house that long.

Im getting about 30 chicks, I will most likely keep them indoors for the first 6 weeks then I have a small space where I will keep them outside. I live in Charlotte, NC.

Above 8 weeks they will need 4 sq ft per chicken, or 120 sq ft, or about a 10' x 12' coop. In addition, they will need a run or yard of about 300 sq ft.

Here's a simple and VERY effective brooder design. Go to the building supply store and buy some rolled metal flashing about 18" high. Cut the length to make about a 5' diameter circle. Use duct tape to join the ends. Cover the floor with newspaper and put about a 2" layer of pine shavings on top of that. Hang a heat lamp about 18" off the brooder floor and toward one side of the brooder. Place a feeder. some sand (grit), and a waterer inside the brooder and you're ready for chicks. Cheap, and it works great.

75015_0212111300.jpg

Last edited:
You can make a 'brooder box' for practically nothing just be getting a large box (or maybe two and tape them together. You can do it in one of your bedrooms in the house if: 1) you put down a cheap tarp (only has to be about 6x8, just enough to cover under the box so your floor has no chance of getting wet). 2) The prior poster was right, you will have dust/dander all over the place, so to be smart you should get a small air purifier and run it 24/7. That will help immensely! Then you just need the light etc and that will last the whole 6 to 8 weeks you need.
big_smile.png

Old Refrigerator Box. I'll be getting new babies next week. This will be the 5th batch I have raised in my temporary brooder refrigerator box in my shed.

Tape the bottom of the box together (the part they open to get out the refrigerator). Turn the box on its side. Cut a large u shape in the top. I cut several inches in from the two ends of the box and accross the front edge so I can reach in to water, feed, clean etc. It creates a flap so the birds can't fly out. Hang a protected heat lamp from one side of the box (another reason to leave a couple inches). Wire tye the lamp to two small holes in the box (so the lamp cannot fall or touch the cardboard).

I did fall chicks last year and when it started getting really cold, I would just cover the box with some old towels. Free brooder and works great.

cool.png

Back
Top Bottom