1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder Ideas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by William1hens, Jan 10, 2015.

1. William1hens

William1hens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    I'm wondering does anybody have any brooder ideas for 15-20 chicks that would last them until they're at least 3 weeks old and would be pernament.I've made them before using cardboard but never lasted after one batch and they were very hard to clean.
    Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can make a smaller version of the Ohio Brooder.
    http://web.extension.illinois.edu/hkmw/downloads/46524.pdf

I made 2 of them. As the chicks grow, put the legs on bricks. Keep adding bricks till they don't need the brooder. Usually that's 2 standard 2 1/2" thick bricks unless it's bitterly cold then they might need a third brick under each leg.
    The shavings on top are important to hold the heat in.

One of mine only has one lamp, the larger one has 2 lamps like the original. I like 2 lamps in case one goes out but in a smaller brooder, lower wattages would be necessary.
    I prefer ceramic heat emitters so I can provide a dark period at night but you have to feel under the brooder to make sure they're still on since they don't put out light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it isn't that cold out, I just hand a heat emitter in the coop and give them lots of cool space.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by