Brooder in bedroom ok?

lisa_anne

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
I didn't think to ask this before, but our brooder is in our bedroom. I clean it out completely every two days and there are 5 little ones in it. Can you get sick from sleeping in close quarters with chickens? This might be a completely stupid question, so sorry if it is. Thanks!
smile.png

Mine are in the Master Bathroom and I wonder after your post, Kemclaughlin, if it's Springtime or Chicktime that's causing my sinus issues!

Baby chicks create an amazing amount of dust. It will only get worse (MUCH worse) as they get a little older, so I would find them an outside (or even temporary) basement home soon.

Yeah so far the dust hasn't been too bad, but I can see how, as they start flapping and divebombing more, how that is going to get much worse. So I don't have some deadly chicken disease yet, but for my own sanity they need to move soon. We are picking up the dog house that is being turned into their coop, in the morning. We need to mod it and build the run yet, though.

The very, very fine white dust from feather dander and bedding can really aggravate allergies. It's also really hard to clean up, it gets into everything.

Sorry to sound like a bad guy, but.....IMHO, chickens don't belong in your house after a couple weeks unless it's terrible weather outside, or other exteme circumstances. And even then, I can't imagine keeping them in my bedroom. If it must be done, they're somewhere that is visited the very least by a human body.
(8 week old chickens in the house? YIKES!!!)

Ok, in my case it was the chickens that came before the coop and that was my delema. Now it's weather proofing the coop so it will last and have to *gasp* get it OVER the fence! Oye... so the chickens are still in me bathroom! LOL

Oh, I agree. They aren't even 2 weeks yet and will be outside very soon as the temps are getting consistently above 70. I could move them into the bathroom I guess. Like I said, there are only 5 of them so it isn't like I have 25 chickens in my bedroom
smile.png

My chicks did three weeks in my garage when they came home... EVERYTHING WAS COVERED IN CHICKEN DUST! I do have the incubator in my room, but nothing open air like that... Had a touch o sinus problems just from spending time in the garage with them, I don't want to know what that would have caused had they been in my house!

Back
Top Bottom