Brooder is in my basement and I want to spend more time down there with the chicks. Would playing lo-fi music bother them?

3SiameseCats

Songster
Jun 24, 2023
Massachusetts
Currently in my basement, and although I have my phone, I don’t like the ambient basement sounds. Makes me feel unproductive. I would like to turn on lo-fi music, which is basically music that’s relaxing and not at all high intensity. It’s not like meditation music, but it’s good background noise for getting things done or focusing on something. Can provide a sample if needed.

I have no idea why that would bother chicks/chickens.

They live with roosters crowing almost constantly. My understanding is that chickens “cilia?” can regenerate, and high db noises don’t have long term adverse effects on hearing. Obviously you don’t want to startle them with unexpected loud noises though.

Unless there’s something in particular I’m missing, and you’re not turning it on/off constantly to disrupt sleep cycles, I don’t see why you turning music on in the basement would be a problem. I think you’ll be fine.

I have no idea why that would bother chicks/chickens.

They live with roosters crowing almost constantly. My understanding is that chickens “cilia?” can regenerate, and high db noises don’t have long term adverse effects on hearing. Obviously you don’t want to startle them with unexpected loud noises though.

Unless there’s something in particular I’m missing, and you’re not turning it on/off constantly to disrupt sleep cycles, I don’t see why you turning music on in the basement would be a problem. I think you’ll be fine.
My chickens have always loved music. I think it may be because they associate it with treats because the construction guys play their radio and always share their lunch.
I think as long as you are letting them sleep at night it will be totally fine.

My chickens have always loved music. I think it may be because they associate it with treats because the construction guys play their radio and always share their lunch.
I think as long as you are letting them sleep at night it will be totally fine.
Ok, thanks for the info! Is there any music I should avoid? My instinct tells me nothing too loud or crazy, but not sure the exact limits of that.

Ok, thanks for the info! Is there any music I should avoid? My instinct tells me nothing too loud or crazy, but not sure the exact limits of that.
I think anything you want.
Mine seem to also like the sound of power tools and can usually out-shout any music.
Probably not music festival level decibels but my guess is others in the house would complain before the chickens get upset.
Just watch how they are behaving and you will get a feel for if they like some music better than others.

I think anything you want.
Mine seem to also like the sound of power tools and can usually out-shout any music.
Probably not music festival level decibels but my guess is others in the house would complain before the chickens get upset.
Just watch how they are behaving and you will get a feel for if they like some music better than others.
Ok, thanks! This is going to be much more fun than I thought. There’s a TV also down here which means I can also watch stuff. Also might help socialize them too now that I think of it.

Ok, thanks! This is going to be much more fun than I thought. There’s a TV also down here which means I can also watch stuff. Also might help socialize them too now that I think of it.
There are several people on BYC who I know bring their chickens (grown) inside to watch TV with them or have movie night.
I have never tried it myself, but I can't see why baby chicks wouldn't appreciate TV.

Back
Top Bottom