Brooder Light bulbs

I would have thought it would be the other way around, and the issue with heat would be with smaller brooders. With smaller brooders you won't have as many chicks so the heat from a light would be more important. With larger brooders you have more chicks to huggle together and keep each other warm and so I would think a normal light bulb should do the trick. You could always get one of those microwave things people use to keep rabbits warm. Not sure if I can post links yet as a newbie but I'll have a go:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SnuggleSafe-Microwave-Wireless-Heatpad-Fleece/dp/B0014LJKUA

If the chicks appear to be cold you could put this under their bedding near the light (so their feet don't burn) and they will be happy.

If you didn't want to buy one then you can go around the house and see what bulbs work best, also find a few different lamps so you can make sure the bulb fits (also make sure the bulb meets the lamps specifications). I find that the ones from bathrooms may produce more heat but it depends on your globes.

Back
Top Bottom