Brooder light Q--the one at TS is HUGE & is it safe too...

I also use a 100w bulb and an 8.5" reflector. I brood inside and the 250w bulb and large reflector are overkill for a small number of chicks. You can usually find the smaller reflector in the hardware department.

I hate to jump in and hijack a thread but where can I get a 100 w red light bulb? I've looked everywhere and can't find one. Is it just a regular red light bulb or is it similar to the wide heat lamp bulbs?

I've been wondering about how the big heat lamps work with the big plastic containers. Does seem that it would get a bit warm. I've been thinking about a coffee can with a 60w bulb inside sitting close to the floor of the brooder...seems I've seen this illustrated somewhere...the chicks simply get close to the can rather than under the can. Also, the box-type hover is interesting....of course I've gotta get the coop built to be able to use one of those.
hmm.png

Ed

spazzy...i was actually wondering the same thing!
wink.png
But, i think i remember saying that maybe home depot/lowes might have smaller wattage red ones? i have to go there tommorrow or monday so i'll look!

Mama2B&D&...Chickens :

spazzy...i was actually wondering the same thing!
wink.png
But, i think i remember saying that maybe home depot/lowes might have smaller wattage red ones? i have to go there tommorrow or monday so i'll look!

Don't waist your time. I was on the hunt today. 3 stores. Walmart, Tractor Supply, Lowe's. The only lower watt bulb they have are white.

I did find one on Petsmart.com though. Up to 100 watt.

I am heading to Petsmart tomorrow to see if they actually carry them in the store.​

Back
Top Bottom