1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder light question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tara7815, Sep 13, 2009.

1. tara7815

tara7815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    How do you have yours attached?
    What wattage are you using?
    I notice a lot of people have them just resting on the wire. Is this safe?
    and how do you "turn down" the temp if you can't pull it away?

My brooder is almost done and we're sitting here trying to figure out the smartest way to deal with the lighting. The brooder won't always be in the same spot (long story) so I can't attach it to a structure that is seperate fromt he brooder box.
    and I have young kids . The kids will be monitored ridiculously closely (because I'm paranoid) but I'm afraid of them just bumping it and having it crumble..LOL
    I also have an English Mastiff dog that has a tail that could take down the most stable of structures - so I'm just looking for tips on the safest way to attach the light.

and really confused about how you guys cool down your brooder weekly.

2. Kieyamama

Kieyamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    NorCal
    I'm charging my camera so I can post a pic of mine for you. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I usually have chicks in winter months and the brooder is always outside so I put my box in a dog cage and put the 250 watt red light on top of the cage. There is a warm area and a cool area adn they moved back and forth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by