Brooder light question

What type of brooder box do you have? For the past 2 years we have been using cardboard boxes and when they get soiled, every couple days, we switch them out and burn them. Could also spread it out on the garden for compost or put in compost pile. Most grocery and hardware stores will give you boxes for free if you just ask. We also built a permanent brooder box out of scrap wood & hardware cloth for our broody hen & chicks she hatched out.

Oh the kids will be watched when they are out there...but I can't keep my eye on them every single second.....they can disappear in a blink.
I am not anticipating any problems at all....but I over-prepare and think about the "possible issues".
I should be one of those Risk Assessor Insurance people...can't remember their official title....

The cheap brooder lamp types have and can have the socket fall through the housing and drop to the bedding. They ARE fire risks. I have a friend that just about lost her barn to one and she is one heck of a good chicken keeper with lots of history. The point is if you only are doing this for a one time deal-- fine. $12 will definitely get you through. But right now I'm looking at a couple pieces of junk wondering why I didn't make a good initial investment instead of throwing away $12-$15 pieces of junk. I am now throwing that money in the trash.

The middle ground option I offered: still providing the benefit I need for the money I spent.

I personally like the caged brooder lights. Yes they can be dangerous but on ly if you don't make sure it's reinforced before using it. At every single connection spot, I double secure it. The caged front, the blub end, the wiring, etc. I NEVER EVER just use the clip to hang the light. That is where so many people make their mistake. they trust that the clip will hold. It moght for awhile but will eventually give out. IF I use the clip, I clip it then use the wiring to tie it to something at the same height so that if the clip gives and the lamp falls, it won't actually go anywhere because it is held at a separate point as well. I also do not put the light near a wall or anything else that it could heat up, though I have never noticed anything further than 2 inches away even getting warm but I want to be safe. As for how far to hang it, at first you want to start out relatively low and you want to raise it about an inch a week. You want to get their bodies to adjust to producing their own heat and not rely on the lamp. I start my lamp about a foot and half to feet off the bottom. I will raise or lower it depending on how the chicks respond. If they avoid the light, it's too low. If they are sleeping in piles under it, it's too high. Once it's perfect, I begin my week count of raising. I have raised 2 sets of chicks this way and have yet to lose a single one :)

As for a brooder box, I have found that an old playpen or pack and play is GREAT! Just be sure you put cardboard up on the outside edges about 6-7 inches up all the way around. Not for warmth but because when they start learning to dust bath, that mesh will allow shavings or sand right through and mess the floor lol I had 8 chicks this time so a small brooder box wouldn't do. I like my chicks to have room :)

I am putting the brooder in our garage...so I will have to figure out...if I go the route of the high heat lamp....how to secure it in the vertical to something.....hmmmmmm

Not built yet...I have 6 chicks coming, and probably going to go with a 2'Hx3'Wx4'L for them. Top will be a frame w/ hardware cloth or chicken wire on it so they can't jump out when they get older.
I need to get moving on it...chicks show up in about 2 weeks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom